Penne Arrabbiata is your new favorite comfort food. This Italian classic is not only spicy, fragrant, rich, and hearty, but it's nonna approved. Does it get any better than that?
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time20 mins
- 12 oz penne or pasta of your choice
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes or to taste
- 28 oz whole peeled tomatoes 1 big can
- 6 leaves basil chopped
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
Cook the pasta: According to package instructions. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water.
Saute the aromatics: Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes to the skillet and cook, stirring for 30 seconds.
Create the sauce: Add the tomatoes to the skillet, crushing them roughly with a wooden spoon. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 to 10 minutes over low heat. Remove from heat and stir in the chopped basil.
Incorporate the pasta: Drain the pasta and add it to the sauce. Toss well and add more pasta water if too dry. Taste and season with salt, pepper and more pepper flakes as needed.
Finish the dish: Garnish with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
- This sauce will last 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator. Make sure to store it in an airtight container.
- This arrabbiata also freezes well. Store it in an airtight container in the freezer for 4 to 6 months. Allow to thaw fully before reheating on the stove.
Calories: 496kcal | Carbohydrates: 73g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 9mg | Sodium: 494mg | Potassium: 586mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 443IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 233mg | Iron: 3mg