Instant Pot Cashew Chicken
Chinese-inspired food anyone? This Instant Pot Cashew Chicken is a delicious family friendly meal that is faster to make than to order in! Talk about a perfectly satisfying weeknight meal - in more ways than one!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time30 mins
- 1/4 cup soy sauce low sodium
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar packed
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp ginger fresh, minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 lbs chicken thighs boneless and skinless, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 tbsp cornstarch divided
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 3 green onions chopped
- 21 tbsp sesame seeds
In a small bowl whisk together the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
Sprinkle 1 tbsp of cornstarch and pepper over the chicken and toss well, making sure each pieces of chicken is coated in cornstarch.
Turn the Instant Pot to the "Saute" setting and add the sesame oil and olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the chicken pieces and brown for 3 minutes. Press "Cancel" on your IP.
Pour the sauce over the chicken and stir so that all the chicken is coated evenly. Close the lid on the Instant Pot, turn the valve to "Sealing" and cook on "Manual/High Pressure" for 6 minutes.
Turn the valve to "Venting" to do a quick release, wait fort the IP to depressurize. When it's safe, remove the lid. Whisk the remaining 1 tbsp of cornstarch with the 2 tbsp of water to make a slurry, then stir it in with the chicken. Add the cashews and stir everything together.
Turn the Instant Pot to the "Saute" setting and cook for an additional 1 to 2 minutes until sauce thickens.
Sprinkle with green onions and sesame seeds and serve over rice.
- Cashew chicken is going to last in the fridge, properly sealed in an airtight container for up to 3 days. I recommend freezing any kind of chicken to extend it's shelf life. Sealed in an airtight container, cashew chicken will last about 3 months.
Calories: 592kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 46g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 126mg | Sodium: 462mg | Potassium: 524mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 185IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 330mg | Iron: 6mg