Easy Lentil Soup
My Easy Lentil Soup recipe is ready to give you that warm bowl of comfort you've been craving. While this recipe is gluten-free, vegan, low-calorie, and loaded with fibre, it's so delicious! Your whole family will be begging for seconds.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time50 mins
Total Time1 hr
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin ground
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper or to taste
- 14 oz tomato sauce
- 1 lb dried lentils any color, but use small lentils
- 8 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-hight heat. Add the onion, carrots and celery and saute for about 5 minutes or until the onion and veggies soften. Stir in the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
Stir in the tomato paste, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook for about 1 minute.
Add in the tomato sauce, lentils, water, bay leaf and stir well. Bring to a boil
Reduce to a simmer and cook for 35 to 40 minutes, covered.
Stir in the lemon juice, and adjust for seasoning if needed. Garnish with parsley if preferred and serve with crusty bread.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for 3-4 days. Reheat either in the microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring in between, or on the stovetop over medium heat.
- You can also store your leftovers in the freezer up to 6 months. I find it's easiest to first transfer the soup to the fridge to thaw overnight, then heat it up using your preferred method.
Calories: 352kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 819mg | Potassium: 1128mg | Fiber: 26g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 2790IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 82mg | Iron: 7mg