Spicy Brazilian Coconut Chicken
This Spicy Brazilian Coconut Chicken is super fragrant, flavorful, and packed full of perfectly tender chicken. Don't even get me started on the sauce, full of ginger and fresh garlic with a swift kick of heat. Need I say more?
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time50 mins
- 1 tsp cumin ground
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander ground
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper or to taste
- 4 chicken breasts boneless and skinless
- 3 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 medium tomatoes chopped small
- 2 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 14 oz unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tbsp parsley fresh, chopped or cilantro
In a large bowl combine the cumin, cayenne pepper, turmeric, coriander, garlic powder, salt and pepper together.
Add the chicken to the bowl and rub the spice mixture all over the chicken, so that it's properly coated.
Add 2 tbsp of the oil to a large skillet and heat over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook on both sides, until browned and cooked through. Should take 6 to 8 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil.
Add the rest of the oil to the skillet and heat. Add the onion, jalapeno pepper, ginger, garlic and cook until the onion has softened and is translucent; about 5 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, lemon juice and season with a bit of salt and pepper. Cook for 5 more minutes until the tomatoes soften.
Stir in the coconut milk and simmer until the sauce thickens, for another 5 minutes.
Add the chicken back to the skillet and any accumulated juices. Reduce heat to low and cook for another 5 minutes.
Garnish with parsley and serve.
- Store this dish in and airtight container in the fridge. It will last for 3-5 days.
- Feel free to double this recipe for storage in the freezer. Freeze in a freezer bag for up to 1 month; fully defrost, then slowly heat through until piping hot.
Calories: 621kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 51g | Fat: 40g | Saturated Fat: 23g | Cholesterol: 144mg | Sodium: 867mg | Potassium: 1407mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1220IU | Vitamin C: 31.7mg | Calcium: 54mg | Iron: 3.6mg