This Minestrone Soup is classic comfort food in a bowl. This vegetarian Italian soup is loaded with veggies and lots of great flavors, best of all it comes together quickly and is always a family favorite!
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup green beans canned, drained and chopped
- 15 oz red kidney beans (1 can)
- 1 cup corn frozen or canned
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp pepper or to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 28 oz diced tomatoes 1 large can
- 6 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 cup pasta small pasta such as elbow, tubular or small shell
- 2 cups spinach chopped, or kale
- 1 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
Saute the Mirepoix: Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery to the pot and cook until softened, stirring ocassionally, for about 5 minutes.
Combine the base of the soup: Stir in the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds until aromatic. Add the green beans, red kidney beans, corn, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, bay leaves, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, pasta and stir well to combine. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium and cook for 15 minutes or until the pasta is cooked through.
Finish the soup: Add the spinach and lemon juice and cook for another minute until the spinach is wilted.
Garnish and serve: Garnish with freshly grated parmesan cheese and serve warm.
- Allow the soup to cool to room temperature. Once the soup has cooled, it's ready to be stored. In the refrigerator, your soup will keep for 3 to 4 days.
- Soups that contain pasta, like minestrone, won't hold up to the freezer well. If you're cooking soup specifically to freeze, just hold the pasta. That way you can reheat your freezer meal, boil some fresh pasta, and combine them then.
Calories: 321kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 3mg | Sodium: 1488mg | Potassium: 910mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 5370IU | Vitamin C: 25.2mg | Calcium: 163mg | Iron: 4.8mg