The Best Lasagna
Learn how to make The Best Lasagna complete with a homemade hearty beef and sausage sauce, ricotta, layered with lots of mozzarella and parmesan. With my step-by-step instructions you are guaranteed the perfect lasagna every time!
- 1 lb Italian sausage mild or spicy, casings removed
- 3/4 lb ground beef extra lean
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes 1 can
- 6 oz tomato paste 1 can
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water if needed
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 4 leaves basil chopped
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper or to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 16 oz ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 12 lasagna noodles oven ready
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese fresh, grated
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
Make the sauce: Brown the sausage, beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until the meats are fully cooked. Add the rest of the sauce ingredients and simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Prepare the cheese mixture: In a medium size bowl, mix the ricotta, egg, and parsley together.
Assemble the lasagna: Preheat the oven to 375F. Spread about 1 1/2 cups of the meat sauce in the bottom of your lasagna dish. Arrange 4 noodles over the sauce, then spread 1/2 the ricotta mixture over the noodles. Layer 1/3 of the mozzarella, another 1 1/2 cups meat mixture, 1/4 cup Parmesan, then repeat the layers with the remaining ingredients finishing with mozzarella and parmesan.
Bake the lasagna: Cover the lasagna with foil. Spray the side of the foil facing the lasagna with cooking spray to avoid sticking. Bake for 25 minutes, remove the foil, then bake for another 25 minutes. Let the lasagna rest for 15 minutes before slicing and serving.
- I like to store my leftovers directly in the lasagna pan. Wrap well with plastic or foil and store in the fridge for 3-5 days. You can, of course, transfer the leftovers to an airtight container to save space if you prefer.
- Reheat either in the microwave or in the oven covered with foil at 350F for 15-20 minutes, or heated through.
Calories: 572kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 34g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Cholesterol: 121mg | Sodium: 1103mg | Potassium: 745mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1129IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 431mg | Iron: 4mg