Beef Ragu is exactly what the doctor ordered to cure all that ails you on a particularly cold day. Full of fall apart tender chuck beef, super hearty tomato sauce packed full of veggies, and all served atop your favorite pasta, this dish is sure to comfort and impress.
- 3 pound beef chuck roast cut into 6 equal pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium carrot finely chopped or shredded
- 28 ounce crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 3 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pound pasta such as pappardelle
- Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- fresh parsley chopped
Pat the beef dry with papertowels then season with the salt and pepper.
Heat the 1 tbsp of olive oil in a Dutch oven or heavy based pot. Add the beef to the pot and sear it on all sides until browned, over high heat. Transfer the beef to a plate.
Turn the heat down to a medium and add the remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil. Add the onion, garlic and carrot to the pot. Saute for at least 5 minutes or until the onion softens.
Add the remaining ingredients, stir to combine, then bring it to a simmer. Add the beef back to the pot and turn the heat down to a low. Cover the pot and let it cook for 2 hours or until the beef is tender enough to shred.
Remove the beef from the pot and shredd it with 2 forks. Return it back to the pot and stir. Taste for seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper as necessary. Simmer for another 30 minutes until the sauce reduced a bit and thickened.
Serve over pasta with parmesan cheese and parsley.
- This beef ragu will last 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator. Make sure to store it in an airtight container.
- This ragu also freezes well. Store the sauce in an airtight container in the freezer for 4 to 6 months.
Calories: 630kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 43g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 117mg | Sodium: 728mg | Potassium: 1262mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1611IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 99mg | Iron: 6mg