Chicken Meatball Noodle Soup
Chicken Meatball Noodle Soup is about to become your new favorite chilly day comfort meal. It combines juicy, tasty chicken meatballs, with some light chicken noodle soup, swimming with tender orzo and made bright with fresh lemon.
For Chicken Meatballs
- 1 lb ground chicken or ground turkey
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs such as Panko
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper freshly ground
- 1/2 cup parsley chopped
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese freshly ground
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 large carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 8 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 cup orzo uncooked, or any other small pasta
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp pepper or to taste
- 2 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
Preheat your oven: To 425 F degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
Make meatballs: In a large bowl, combine ground chicken, Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, parsley, egg, salt and pepper. Form into 15 meatballs, then place onto the prepared baking sheet and bake until golden and cooked through, about 20 minutes.
Make soup: Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or soup pot. Add the onion and saute for 5 minutes until softened and translucent. Add the garlic, carrots, celery and cook for another 5 minutes until vegetables are softened. Add the chicken broth, dried herbs, orzo, salt, pepper and bring to a boil. Add the meatballs. Reduce heat and simmer until orzo is tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and garnish with fresh parsley.
Garnish and serve: Stir in lemon juice and garnish with fresh parsley. Serve with freshly grated parmesan cheese if preferred.
- Chicken meatball noodle soup will last about 3 to 4 days in the fridge if properly stored in an airtight container.
- You can also freeze it in airtight containers or heavy-duty freezer bags. If properly stored, chicken meatball noodle soup could last 4 to 6 months in the freezer.
Calories: 339kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 103mg | Sodium: 1094mg | Potassium: 903mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 4681IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 125mg | Iron: 3mg