This Chocolate Cake is about to become your newest homemade favorite! It is incredibly simple, perfectly moist, and absolutely decadent! If you weren't a chocolate lover before - this cake is certainly going to change your mind!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar granulated
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder unsweetened
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 1 cup boiling water
- 6 cups chocolate cream cheese frosting
Preheat oven: To 350 F degrees.
Prepare cake pans: You're going to need 2 cake pans 8-inches in diameter. Cut out 2 parchment paper circles to fit inside the cake pans. Place the parchment circles inside the cake pans and grease the parchment (over and under) and sides of the cake pan using butter or cooking spray; set aside.
Prepare coffee: In a cup or small bowl mix together the espresso powder and boiling water to make the coffee ingredient.
Prepare cake batter: In a large size bowl, or in the bowl of your mixer, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, leavening agents, and salt. In a separate bowl, mix together the wet ingredients; buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla. Next, add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients in the large bowl, and mix. Keep the mixer on low speed and slowly add in the prepared coffee - continue mixing until everything is well combined and smooth. Finally, scrape the bottom of the bowl with a spatula and mix again as needed.
Bake - Pour the cake batter into each cake pan equally. Place into the oven and bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until baked through. Once baked, remove cakes from oven and let cool in the pans for 30 minutes. Finally, turn them out of the cake pans and place on a cooling rack or cutting board to finish cooling completely.
Frost the cake: Once the cake has cooled off completely, cut each piece in half horizontally. To have nice flat layer, you may need to cut the dome part off. Frost the cake with my chocolate cream cheese frosting.
- To maximize the shelf life of chocolate cake, wrap it in plastic wrap or aluminum foil, or place in an airtight container to prevent it from drying out.
- At room temperature chocolate cake will last 2 - 3 days.
- In the refrigerator, properly wrapped and stored, the cake will last upwards of 1 week.
- It is best to freeze this cake before it is frosted - but if it has already been frosted and sliced, the cake will last 3 - 4 months in the freezer when properly wrapped and stored.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 891kcal | Carbohydrates: 131g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 43g | Saturated Fat: 28g | Cholesterol: 119mg | Sodium: 603mg | Potassium: 431mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 104g | Vitamin A: 1047IU | Calcium: 113mg | Iron: 4mg