This classic Gingerbread Cake is the epitome of Christmas season! Warm and beautifully spiced it is a delicious holiday treat for your dessert table, or a perfect breakfast cake served with a fresh cup of coffee!
- 3/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup butter unsalted, softened
- 2 large egg
- 1 cup unsulfured molasses
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon ground
- 2 tsp ginger ground
- 1 tsp cloves ground
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg ground
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup boiling water
Preheat oven: To 350 F degrees, and line a 9 x 9 inch pan with parchment paper. Butter and flour the sides of the baking pan as well as the parchment paper or spray entire pan with cooking spray.
Create cake batter: Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until it is lightened in color and creamy. Next, beat in the eggs and molasses, and mix until well combined. Then add in, the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, and salt until well incorporated. Finally, whisk in the hot water (I wouldn't use the stand mixer for this as it's likely to make a mess!) until well combined.
Prepare for baking: Pour the cake batter into the prepared baking pan, and spread around with a spatula to ensure it is flat and even.
Bake: Place baking pan into the oven and bake for 40 - 45 minutes. You'll know the cake is done if you gently push on it and it springs back up. Another way to tell is inserting a toothpick into the centre and see if it is clean when removed.
Serve: Cut into slices and serve with a dollop of whipped cream!
- You can store gingerbread cake in the fridge in an airtight sealed container or tightly wrapped, and it will last up to a week. Keep in mind though, the longer it is in the fridge the faster it will dry out.
- Gingerbread cake actually freezes really well! Just wrap it in plastic wrap and place into a sealed container and it will last up to 3 months in the freezer. When it's time to reheat - put the cake in a 350 F degree oven and bake for about 5 minutes or until warm!
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 313kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 55mg | Sodium: 299mg | Potassium: 555mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 34g | Vitamin A: 287IU | Calcium: 121mg | Iron: 3mg