These Zucchini Boats are filled with a hearty chicken mixture, topped with plenty of cheese, and baked to perfection! This is a simple, low carb recipe that I'm certain the entire family is going to enjoy!
- 1/2 cup rice uncooked
- 4 medium zucchinis
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 sprigs green onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup gruyere cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees.
Cook the rice according to package instructions.
Cut the zucchini in half and hollow out the middle for stuffing.
In a large skillet add the ground chicken and cook until no longer pink. Add the green onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper and tomato sauce. Stir until well combined. Continue cooking for 5 more minutes. Stir in the rice.
Spoon chicken/rice mixture into each zucchini half. Transfer stuffed zucchini to a baking dish and place in the oven. Cook for 30 minutes. Top each zucchini half with gruyere cheese and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until the cheese melts and starts to brown.
- I really don't recommend freezing zucchini boats, only because the zucchini is going to become very mushy upon thawing. That being said, you can freeze the meat filling mixture for up to 2 months! Just thaw the mixture and spoon onto the zucchini as you did above!
Serving: 1zucchini boat | Calories: 221kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 67mg | Sodium: 338mg | Potassium: 702mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 563IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 208mg | Iron: 2mg