This easy Shepherd's Pie is a traditional Irish dish consisting of delectable ground lamb amidst beautifully flavored veggies. Topped with a creamy, dreamy layer of mashed potatoes and baked to perfection. Classic comfort food, made easy.
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes such as Russet or Yukon gold, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 tablespoon butter softened
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 3/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 large carrots chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 pounds ground lamb
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef broth low sodium
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
Make mashed potatoes: Start by first cooking the potatoes in boiling water for about 15 minutes or until fork tender. Drain the potatoes then add them to a large bowl. Add in the butter and using a potato masher, mash until smooth. Add the half and half, salt pepper and mash a bit a more until smooth.
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place the oven rack in the middle position.
Make filling: Add the olive oil to a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots and saute for 3 to 4 minutes or until the onion becomes translucent. Stir in the garlic and saute for another 30 seconds or until aromatic. Add the ground lamb, salt, pepper and cook for 3 minutes, until no longer pink and browned. Sprinkle the meat with the flour and stir everything so the flour coats the meat.
Finish the filling: Add the beef broth, Worcestershire, Italian seasoning and stir to combine. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes until the sauce thickens. Add the corn and peas to the lamb mixture.
Assemble the pie: Spread the meat mixture evenly into a 9x13 inch casserole dish. Top with mashed potatoes and smooth with a spoon. Take a fork and rough up the top a bit.
Bake the pie: Transfer the casserole dish to the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until the potatoes begin to brown. Let the casserole cool for 10 minutes before serving, garnish with parsley and serve.
- Your shepherd's pie will be keep for around 3 - 5 days in the fridge. Cover with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and store immediately after serving. Leaving your food out for more than an hour will cause bacteria growth.
- To freeze, wrap leftovers tightly with aluminum foil, plastic freezer wrap, or place in heavy-duty freezer bag. Properly stored, it will keep for about 4 to 6 months.
Calories: 436kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 83mg | Sodium: 701mg | Potassium: 777mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 3316IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 82mg | Iron: 5mg