Sweet And Sour Chicken
This Sweet and Sour Chicken is a classic Asian inspired dish showcasing chunks of tender chicken tossed in a zesty sweet and sour sauce. Incredible flavor, ready in only 20 minutes. The perfect dinner for those busy weeknights.
- 2 pounds chicken breasts boneless and skinless, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- 1 small red bell pepper cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 small green bell pepper cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3/4 cup sweet and sour sauce
Season the chicken pieces with the salt and pepper.
Put the cornstarch in a shallow bowl and whisk the eggs in another shallow bowl. Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Dredge the chicken pieces through the cornstarch then dip in the egg. Add to the hot oil in the skillet and cook until brown on all sides, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a baking sheet and repeat with remaining chicken.
Discard all but 1 tbsp of oil from the skillet. Add the pineapple chunks and bell peppers to the skillet and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until tender.
Add the chicken pieces back to the skillet then pour the sweet and sour sauce all over and toss well. Cook until bubbling.
Serve immediately, garnished with sesame seeds and green onions.
- You leftover chicken will last in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 - 4 days, along with the sauce stored separately.
If frozen properly (in an airtight container) you can ensure this dish will last for 3 - 4 months in the freezer.
To reheat, place in the microwave or back into a skillet until heated through.
Calories: 459kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 35g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 167mg | Sodium: 507mg | Potassium: 781mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 615IU | Vitamin C: 31mg | Calcium: 29mg | Iron: 2mg