This Butter Chicken stands up against any takeout dish you can find! Combining ethnic spices and simple ingredients to create one delicious and aromatic meal.
- 1½ pounds chicken breast boneless and skinless, cubed
- ⅓ cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon coriander ground
- 1 teaspoon cumin ground
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger minced or paste
- 4 tablespoon butter unsalted
- 1 medium onion chopped fine
- 1 cup passata or tomato sauce
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon cilantro freshly chopped
Add the chicken, yogurt, spices, salt, and half of each the garlic and ginger to a large mixing bowl or sealable freezer bag. Mix everything well and transfer to the fridge to marinate for at least 1 hour. If using a bowl, cover it with plastic wrap.
Melt 2 tbsp of the butter in a deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, chicken and marinade to the skillet and cook for 5-7 minutes, until the chicken is mostly cooked through. Stir occasionally.
Stir in the remaining garlic and ginger. Cook for 30 seconds - 1 minute, or until aromatic. Stir in the passata and heavy cream, then turn the heat down to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in remaining 2 tbsp butter.
Taste for seasoning and garnish with cilantro. Serve over steamed rice with a side of naan.
- Store leftovers in a shallow airtight container in your fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months! If frozen, allow to thaw in the fridge and reheat on the stove when ready to eat!
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 379kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 149mg | Sodium: 623mg | Potassium: 747mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1426IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 80mg | Iron: 2mg