Broccoli Chicken Casserole
This Broccoli Chicken Casserole is so easy and extremely helpful for those busy weeknights! Tender chunks of chicken, broccoli florets, penne and cheese all married together in one skillet, in under 30 minutes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium white onion chopped
- 2 chicken breasts boneless and skinless, cubed into bite-sized pieces
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 10 ounce condensed cheddar broccoli soup or cream of chicken soup, 1 can
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth low sodium
- 8 ounce penne uncooked, or other small-shaped pasta
- 1 small head of broccoli cut into florets, about 2 1/2 cups
- 2 ½ cups sharp cheddar shredded
- 1 tablespoon parsley freshly chopped
Cook the Chicken: Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, cubed chicken breasts, salt, and pepper. Cook for 5-7 minutes, or until the onion becomes translucent and the chicken browns slightly.
Add Ingredients: Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds, or until aromatic. Stir in the condensed soup, chicken broth, and pasta. Stir well to combine. Let the mixture come to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes, until the pasta is almost completely cooked.
Finish: Stir in the broccoli and 1 cup of the cheddar cheese, then sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top of the casserole. Cover and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
Garnish and Serve: Garnish with fresh parsley and serve.
- Make ahead: Make the casserole as directed, but skip adding the cheese. Cover with foil and allow to cool, once cooled, freeze. When you’re ready, remove the casserole from the freezer the day before you want to eat it. Let it to thaw in the refrigerator overnight, then add your cheese and pop it in the oven at 350 F degrees until it's heated all the way through.
- Your leftover casserole can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 – 4 days.
- Freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 808kcal | Carbohydrates: 63g | Protein: 58g | Fat: 36g | Saturated Fat: 18g | Cholesterol: 152mg | Sodium: 1458mg | Potassium: 1297mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1898IU | Vitamin C: 141mg | Calcium: 623mg | Iron: 4mg