This Corn Chowder is a classic and comforting soup that can be made with either fresh or frozen corn all year round. This soup is hearty, rich and creamy made with lots of corn, potatoes and delicious bacon!
- 8 slices bacon sliced into ¼" - ½" pieces
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup flour all-purpose
- 6 cups vegetable broth low sodium
- 6 cups corn freshly sliced off the cob or frozen
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes peeled and cubed ½" pieces
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 cups half and half half milk half cream, about 10%MF
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 2 tablespoon chives chopped fine
Cook the Bacon: Add the bacon to a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until the bacon is crisp. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and transfer it to a paper towel lined plate.
Cook Onion: Reserve 2 tbsp of the bacon fat in the pot and discard the rest. Add the butter and onion to the pot and cook for 3-4 minutes, until the onion is softened and translucent.
Make the Soup: Stir in the garlic and flour. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring often, removing the raw flour taste. Pour the vegetable broth in slowly, while whisking, then continue the whisk until smooth, bubbling, and thickened.
Cook: Add the corn, potatoes, and thyme. Reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender. Sir occasionally.
Finish and Serve: Remove the thyme sprigs. Stir in the half and half, ¾ of the bacon, and season with salt and pepper. Serve garnished with chives and remaining bacon.
- Store leftover corn chowder in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- You can reheat corn chowder on the stove or in the microwave.
- To freeze, skip adding the half and half during the final step, add it in when you are reheating the soup. Cool the soup completely, then add to freezer-safe containers and freeze 1-2 months.To thaw, place in the refrigerator overnight or until thawed completely. Reheat in dutch oven or soup pot, once heated through, add half and half and stir until hot.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 381kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 45mg | Sodium: 1052mg | Potassium: 633mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1047IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 80mg | Iron: 1mg