Green Bean Casserole
This Green Bean Casserole is comfort in a baking dish. Made completely from scratch with simple, fresh ingredients, this casserole is a must for your next holiday dinner!
- 1 lb green beans trimmed
- 1/4 cup butter unsalted
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup flour all-purpose
- 2 1/2 cups half and half cream 10%MF
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 1/2 cup French's fried onions
Prep: Preheat oven to 350°F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the green beans. Cook for 5 minutes, then, using a slotted spoon, transfer the beans to an ice bath.
Cook Mushrooms: Melt the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 6-7 minutes until well browned. Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
Make Cream Mixture: Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms, stir, and cook for another minute or two. Slowly pour the cream into the skillet, while stirring. Continue to stir until the mixture comes to a bubble and thickens. Stir in the parmesan cheese.
Assemble & Bake: Drain the beans and transfer them to a small casserole dish. Pour the cream mixture evenly over the beans, then transfer the casserole dish to the oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.
Finish: Top the casserole with the fried onions, then bake for another 5 minutes
- Frozen green beans are already blanched and flash-frozen, so if you’re using these, you can skip the blanching step! Just be sure to thaw and drain the green beans before adding them to the casserole.
- To thaw green beans, place them under running water in a colander. Let the beans drain while you’re preparing the rest of the casserole.
- Make ahead: Prepare everything as directed above up until baking (leaving the crispy onions off.) Once the casserole is finished and assembled allow it to cool completely. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and foil, then refrigerate overnight or freeze for up to 1 week until ready to serve. Top with crispy fried onions and bake as directed.
- Leftovers: Store leftovers wrapped tightly or transfer to an airtight container and place in the fridge. Stored properly, your leftover green bean casserole will last 3-4 days in the fridge.
- Freezing: Wrap your green bean casserole tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil, freezer wrap or transfer to an airtight container and keep in the freezer for 6 months
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 280kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 47mg | Sodium: 420mg | Potassium: 357mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 885IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 184mg | Iron: 1mg