Roast Chicken Recipe
Follow my easy step by step Roast Chicken Recipe made with a simple blend of spices! The end result is tender and juicy chicken, paired with perfectly crisp and flavorful skin.
- 3-4 lb whole chicken
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp thyme dried
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp white pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
Prep: Preheat oven to 350°F. Drizzle the olive oil over the chicken and use your hands to rub the oil evenly all over the skin.
Prep the Dry Rub: Whisk the paprika, thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, white pepper, cayenne, and salt together. Sprinkle the dry rub evenly all over the chicken.
For the Gravy: If you plan on making gravy, pour the chicken broth into a roasting pan.
Roast the Chicken: Place a rack in the roasting pan and place the chicken on top of the rack. Roast for 20 minutes per pound, then increase the heat to 425°F and roast for a final 20 minutes.Rest,
Carve & Serve: Let the chicken rest for 10-15 minutes before carving.
(Optional) For the gravy
Prep: Pour the drippings from the roasting pan into a saucepan over medium heat and bring it to a bubble. Whisk the cornstarch with a splash of water.
Make Gravy: Whisk the cornstarch slurry into the drippings, adding a bit at a time, until the gravy has reached your desired consistency. Taste for seasoning and add salt if needed.
- Using your hands is the best way to ensure every crack and crevice of your chicken has been seasoned.
- You can gently lift the skin from the chicken with your hands and rub extra seasoning underneath for extra flavor!
- Don’t skip the increase of heat to 425 for the last 20 minutes. This will give you extra crisp skin.
- If you're freezing your leftovers, you can store the chicken in individual sized containers for easier thawing or you can shred the remaining chicken (to save space).
- Transfer your leftover roast chicken to an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- To freeze your leftovers, store in an airtight container for up to 4 months.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 439kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 122mg | Sodium: 715mg | Potassium: 391mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 773IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 18mg | Iron: 2mg