Easy Sugar Cookies
My Easy Sugar Cookies made with only a few basic ingredients are mouthwatering, and oh so delicious. A classic holiday recipe that is an absolute favorite.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter unsalted, softened to room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
Cream butter and sugar: To the bowl of you mixer add the sugar and butter. Mix on medium until creamy, light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and continue mixing until combined. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
Combine the dry ingredients: In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt together.
Finish the cookie dough: Turn down the mixer to low and add half the flour mixture to the butter/sugar mixture and beat until just combined. Add the rest of the flour and continue mixing until just combined. If the dough is a bit too soft add another tbsp of flour, this should help with rolling.
Chill and set the cookie dough: Cover the dough with plastic wrap and chill for 1 to 2 hours to overnight.
Preheat the oven: Preheat the oven to 375°F.
Roll and cut the dough: Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to ¼" inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes. Re-roll leftover dough and cut into shapes.
Bake the cookies: Place cookies 1 inch apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake 9 to 11 minutes. Allow to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before icing.
- Don't over mix the dough - Once you add the flour don't over do it on the mixing or the cookies will become more flat. Over mixing, activates gluten.
- There's no need to create extra mess - Greasing baking sheets isn't necessary, it's easier to use parchment paper to line your baking sheets. You'll thank me at clean up time!
- Don't over bake - Keep in mind your cookies will continue to cook once you take them out of the oven.
- Be sure to store these sugar cookies in an airtight container and they last anywhere from 2-3 weeks!
- You can place these cookies together or individually in an airtight container and they will last up to 3 months!
Serving: 1cookie | Calories: 129kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 76mg | Potassium: 34mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 198IU | Calcium: 12mg | Iron: 1mg