Chicken Rice Soup
A delicious and hearty Chicken Rice Soup made with a short list of simple ingredients. This filling soup is made entirely in one pot and is loaded with tender chicken and rice, encompassed in a rich homemade broth.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 medium carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon pepper ground
- 8 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 1 pound chicken breast or chicken thighs
- 1 cup white rice
Cook Mirepoix: In a large soup pot or Dutch Oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery and carrots and cook for 5 minutes or until the onion becomes translucent.
Add Ingredients: Add the remaining ingredients to the pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
Cook: Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until rice and chicken are cooked through.
Finish & Serve: Remove the chicken from the pot and shred with 2 forks. Add the chicken back to the pot and stir. Serve warm.
- Pair this soup with a crusty bread to soak up all that delicious broth! I love serving this with a side of buttered bread. Just delicious!
- Feel free to play around with different ingredients and spices to make this soup your own.
- Make sure your soup has cooled down to room temperature before storing it. You can leave it right in the pot with the lid, or transfer it to an airtight container. Leftovers will last 3-4 days in the fridge.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 310kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 48mg | Sodium: 597mg | Potassium: 721mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 3491IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 52mg | Iron: 2mg