Instant Pot Chicken Thighs
Tender, juicy chicken thighs and gravy made in the instant pot! This recipe for Instant Pot Chicken Thighs is as simple as it gets. With a short ingredient list filled with kitchen staples, this is the perfect one pot recipe for busy weeknight meals!
- 6 chicken thighs bone-in, skin-on
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika sweet or smoked
- ½ tsp pepper or to taste
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chicken broth low sodium, or water
- 1 tbsp cornstarch for gravy
- ¼ cup water for gravy
Prep: Season the chicken thighs on both sides with garlic powder, paprika, pepper, salt and oregano. Set the Instant Pot to the Saute setting and add the olive oil to heat.
Cook Chicken: When the olive oil is hot, add the chicken thighs and sear on all sides for 2 to 3 minutes per side, skin side down first. Do it in batches if not all the thighs fit. Remove the chicken from the Instant Pot and set aside.
Add Broth: Pour the chicken broth into the Instant Pot and use a wooden spoon to scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the insert. Place the trivet inside. Place the chicken on top of the trivet and close the Instant Pot lid.
Cook: Set the valve to sealing and set the Instant Pot to Manual/High Pressure for 12 minutes. It will take about 10 minutes to come to pressure. When the time is up, let the Instant Pot release naturally for 10 minutes then release remaining pressure. Place the chicken on a plate and let it rest. Remove the trivet from the instant pot.
Make Gravy: In a small bowl whisk together the cornstarch and ¼ cup water to make a slurry. Add the slurry to the Instant pot and stir until thickened. You can press the "saute" function to simmer it for a few minutes to help thicken the gravy.
Serve: Serve the chicken thighs with gravy over mashed potatoes.
- I always recommend using a meat thermometer for chicken attached to the bone, as it can sometimes remain a little more pink than a chicken breast, due to the minerals in the bones.
- Play around with different spice combinations and marinades to make these chicken thighs to your liking.
- Always read the manufacturer's guide to your instant pot for correct instructions on how to use.
- If you don't want to make the gravy, skip it!
- Transfer leftover chicken thighs to an airtight container and place in the fridge. Your chicken thighs will keep for 3 days, if stored properly.
- I recommend freezing these chicken thighs to extend their shelf life. When stored in a sealed airtight container, the chicken will last in the freezer for 4-6 months.
Serving: 1thigh | Calories: 373kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 142mg | Sodium: 512mg | Potassium: 344mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 277IU | Calcium: 17mg | Iron: 1mg