Restaurant style Mexican Rice made in the comfort of your own home! This easy one pan recipe requires just a handful of ingredients and comes together in just over 30 minutes.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter unsalted
- 1 small onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ½ cups long grain white rice rinsed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 6 ounce tomato sauce
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
Melt Butter: In a large skillet or saucepan heat the olive oil and melt the butter over medium-high heat.
Cook Rice: Add the onion and garlic to the saucepan and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the onion begins to soften. Add the rice and saute for 3 to 4 minutes until the rice begins to brown a bit. Next, add the tomato paste and stir well.
Add Final Ingredients: Add the tomato sauce, water, chili powder, salt and stir. Bring the rice to a boil, lower the heat to simmer and cook covered for 20 minutes or until all the water has evaporated and the rice is fully cooked through.
Finish & Serve: Turn off the heat and fluff the rice a bit with a fork. Let it sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- Feel free to throw in any protein you’d like! This dish is a perfect way to use up some leftovers you have sitting around taking up space in your fridge.
- Don't skip the part of sautéing the rice until it starts to brown. This gives the rice a chance to absorb flavors and also adds a bit of a nutty taste to the rice.
- Sub chicken broth for the water to give some extra flavor to the dish.
- Be sure to store this Mexican rice as soon as it’s cooled as rice is a breeding ground for bacteria. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 – 4 days.
- If freezing, store this dish in a freezer bag with the air pressed out. Thaw overnight in the fridge and fluff the rice before reheating. Your Mexican rice will last up to 3 months in the freezer.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 244kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 395mg | Potassium: 206mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 321IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 29mg | Iron: 1mg