Crispy Chicken Milanese complete with a simple, fresh arugula salad. Juicy chicken breasts are breaded, perfectly seasoned, then fried to golden brown, crispy perfection and served with fresh lemon wedges
For the chicken:
- 2 large chicken breasts sliced in half horizontally
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup olive oil
For the salad:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 4 cups baby arugula
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese shaved with a vegetable peeler
- 2 lemons cut into lemon wedges
Prep Chicken: Place each piece of chicken between 2 pieces of parchment paper or plastic wrap. Use a meat mallet or rolling pin to pound the chicken until it's about ¼ inch in thickness. Season each piece of chicken with salt and pepper.
Prep Dredge: In a shallow plate, whisk the eggs with the milk. In another plate combine the breadcrumbs with the parmesan cheese, and in the 3rd plate place the flour.
Dredge Chicken: Working with a piece of chicken at a time, dredge it through flour, shake off the excess. Dip it in the egg mixture and finally dredge it through the Panko mixture. Place them on a baking sheet lined with paper towels and repeat with remaining chicken pieces.
Cook: Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook 2 pieces of breaded chicken at once, or only one at a time if that's all you can fit, for 2 minutes per side or until golden brown and crispy.
Make Salad: In another large bowl whisk the olive oil with the lemon juice and add a bit of salt and pepper. Add the arugula and toss so that it's well coated.
Finish & Serve: To serve, place a portion of the salad on a plate, garnish with shaved parmesan cheese, then place the chicken breast either on top of the salad or next to it. Garnish with lemon wedges and serve.
- If you want crispier chicken Milanese, you can use Corn Flake crumbs instead of Panko!
- If you want to go the healthier route you can definitely bake this chicken and it will still be crispy! I’ve made similar chicken like this before in the oven and you truly cannot tell the difference.
- You can store your chicken Milanese fully cooked in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 – 4 days. Feel free to crisp them back up in the oven rather than the microwave when ready to feast and enjoy!
- To freeze, place leftover chicken in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 month.
- Make Ahead: If you’d like to prepare these in advance, just prep the chicken as instructed and then lay them on a baking sheet and freeze them, uncooked. Seal in an airtight container. Once frozen and bake at 425 F degrees for 20 – 25 minutes from frozen when ready to eat.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 577kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 40g | Fat: 33g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 181mg | Sodium: 597mg | Potassium: 716mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 852IU | Vitamin C: 37mg | Calcium: 353mg | Iron: 3mg