This delicious, classic Pasta Puttanesca recipe is so easy to make with just a few basic pantry stables. With just 5 minutes prep time, this dish is ready in no time!
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic smashed
- 1 tbsp anchovy paste or 4 anchovy fillets
- 28 oz diced tomatoes (1 can)
- ½ cup kalamata olives sliced in half
- ¼ cup capers drained
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 lb linguini pasta cooked
- salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese grated
- parsley chopped
Make the base of the sauce: Add the olive oil to a large skillet or braiser and heat over medium heat. Add the crushed garlic and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute or until fragrant. Stir in the anchovy paste, and cook for another minute.
Add the rest of the ingredients to the sauce and simmer: To the skillet, add the tomatoes, olives, capers, red pepper flakes, oregano and stir well. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Cook the pasta: While the sauce is simmering, cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, according to package instructions.
Add the pasta and finish the dish: Reserve 1 cup of pasta water, then drain the rest and add the pasta along with the pasta water to the tomato sauce. Toss well and season with salt and pepper as needed.
Garnish and serve: Garnish with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and parsley. Serve immediately.
- Be mindful to not overcook the pasta you are using. We are aiming for an al dente firmness to it, so check the times on the pasta packs to keep on track of them. A good rule of thumb for cooking al dente pasta is to cook it for 1-2 minutes less than the package directions.
- Don't throw away your pasta water, it's gold when it comes to sauces. I always use pasta water and add it to my sauces, especially since pasta tends to soak up all that liquid quickly, you don't your pasta to dry out, especially if you like your pasta a bit more saucy.
- Pasta puttanesca is best served with some Caesar Salad, or Avocado Tomato Salad. It will also go great along some nice crusty bread.
- Store leftover pasta in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can also freeze it for up to 3 months.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 409kcal | Carbohydrates: 63g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 670mg | Potassium: 451mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 241IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 80mg | Iron: 3mg