These delicious Sopapillas are a cross between a donut and fry bread that are served with honey and sprinkled with powdered sugar. This Sopapillas are incredibly easy to make and always a crowd favorite.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp butter unsalted or salted, melted
- 1½ cups warm water
- vegetable oil for frying
Mix the ingredients: In the bowl of your mixer add the flour baking powder, salt, butter and water. Mix on medium using the dough hook attachment until the dough is smooth and comes clean from the sides of the bowl. Shape into a ball, cover with a clean damp towel and let the dough rest for 20 minutes.
Prepare the dough: Roll out the dough onto a floured work surface until it's about ⅛ to ¼ inch in thickness. Cut into 2 to 3 inch squares.
Heat up the oil: Add vegetable oil to a large saucepan, you'll want about 2 inches of oil, and heat it over medium-high heat until it reaches 375°F.
Fry the sopapillas: Add a few pieces of dough to the hot oil, do not overcrowd and fry 30 to 60 seconds per side or until golden. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining dough.
Ready to serve: Serve sprinkled with powdered sugar and dip in honey.
- Nutritional information is per sopapillas and assumes the recipe makes 30 sopapillas.
- Make sure to place a paper towel on a plate and let the sopapillas soak any extra oil they may have after being fried.
- If your Sopapillas don't puff up when in the frying oil, make sure to increase the oil's temperature and flip them on the other side.
- Honey is not the only sweet dip you can eat these with. Strawberry jam, sweet cream cheese dip or even maple syrup are great alternatives as well!
- Sopapillas can be kept warm in a 200°F oven for up to 1 hour. They refrigerate well and can be reheated in a 350°F oven for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
Serving: 1sopapilla | Calories: 90kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 4mg | Sodium: 92mg | Potassium: 59mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 47IU | Calcium: 21mg | Iron: 1mg