Sausage Chicken With Cheesy Rice
This Sausage Chicken With Cheesy Rice is a 30 minute one-pot wonder. It is a perfect option for a busy weeknight dinner since it's so quick and easy. This comfort dish is hearty, cheesy and loaded with lots of great flavor from the smoked sausage.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 chicken breast cubed
- 5 ounces smoked sausage sliced
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup long grain rice such as basmati or Jasmine
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes 14 ounce can or fresh
- 2 cups chicken broth low sodium
- ½ cup heavy cream 30% MF or greater, or sour cream
- ¼ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 3 green onions chopped
Cook the meat: In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium high heat and add the chicken and sausage. Cook until the chicken is no longer pink. Add onion and garlic and continue cooking until onion is translucent.
Cook rice mixture: Add rice, tomatoes, chicken broth and heavy cream to the skillet. Stir well. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for about 15-20 min or until the rice is done.
Finish and serve: Stir in the cheese and green onions. Garnish with parsley if preferred, and serve.
- When adding more ingredients to this dish, you may need to use a bit more chicken broth, depending how many extra items are being used. It's important to have enough liquid to cook the rice properly and leave enough moisture.
- For even more depth of flavor you can toast your rice in some olive oil before incorporating.
- You can use brown rice instead, just cook for an additional 15–20 minutes if you do.
- Be sure to store this sausage chicken with cheesy rice as soon as it’s cooled as rice is a breeding ground for bacteria. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3–4 days.
- If freezing store this dish in a freezer bag with the air pressed out. Thaw overnight in the fridge and fluff the rice before reheating. This dish will last up to 3 months in the freezer.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 677kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 39g | Saturated Fat: 18g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 16g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 132mg | Sodium: 886mg | Potassium: 767mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 949IU | Vitamin C: 16mg | Calcium: 299mg | Iron: 3mg