Falafel is a classic middle eastern delicacy. Chewy, tender, crispy, fresh, and bright, these vegan meatless morsels are a total home run. Incredibly easy to make, crispy on the outside and insanely flavorful!
- 15 oz chickpeas rinsed and drained, (1 can)
- 1 cup fresh parsley leaves tightly-packed
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium onion diced, red or yellow
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 5 tbsp vegetable oil
Form the base: Add chickpeas, cilantro, parsley, onion, garlic, flour, lemon juice, baking powder, cumin, salt, black pepper and garlic to a food processor. Pulse until the mixture reaches a coarse crumb texture, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. The mixture should not be overly mushy. Transfer mixture to a sealed container and refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until chilled. To speed up this process, you can transfer it to a freezer for 30 to 45 minutes until chilled.
Form into patties: Lay a large sheet of parchment paper on a work surface. Using a spoon or a medium cookie scoop, measure out 2 tablespoons of the dough and roll it into a ball with your hands. Place the ball on the parchment paper, and gently flatten it slightly with your hand so that it is about 1/2-inch in thickness. Repeat with the remaining mixture until all of the falafel disks are prepared.
Fry the falafel: Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Carefully transfer 4 or 5 falafel disks to the hot oil and fry for 2-3 minutes per side, or until both sides of the falafel are browned. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate to drain. Repeat with the remaining falafel, adding extra oil to the pan if necessary.
Serve: Serve them up immediately while they are warm and crispy.
- You can store these treats in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 - 4 days, lots of time to cook up different and fun dishes to incorporate them into!
- Falafel can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 months in the freezer. Just allow to thaw at room temperature before warming back up to temperature in the oven.
Serving: 1falafel | Calories: 149kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Sodium: 241mg | Potassium: 241mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 625IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 59mg | Iron: 2mg