Chicken Potato Soup
This Chicken Potato Soup is super healthy, seriously delicious and really LOW calories! What else? It's also ready in only 30 minutes! Makes for a great lunch or dinner and freezes well.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 3 medium potatoes peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 14 oz fire roasted tomatoes diced, or regular diced tomatoes
- 8 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 2 cups chicken cooked and shredded
- 3 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp pepper or to taste
- 2 tbsp parsley fresh, chopped
Cook Mirepoix: Heat the vegetable oil in a large Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion, carrots and celery then season with salt and pepper. Saute for about 5 minutes until the onion is soft and translucent.
Add Potatoes: Add the potatoes to the pot and stir. Cook for 2 more minutes.
Cook: Add the fire roasted tomatoes and chicken broth to the pot, stir then bring to a boil. Turn down the heat to a medium-low and cook for about 15 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
Finish: Stir in the shredded chicken and lemon juice. Taste for seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper as necessary.
Serve: Garnish with parsley. Serve while warm.
- If using a store bought chicken broth, use a good low sodium or no sodium chicken broth. This way you can control the salt content yourself.
- I use the chicken breast meat for the soup, which I shred and the rest of the chicken I roast in the oven for a few minutes and serve alongside a salad, and use the entire broth in the chicken potato soup.
- If using store bought chicken broth, use a rotisserie chicken from your local supermarket. You could shred all the meat from it, use most of it in the soup and the rest to make chicken salad sandwiches.
- Feel free to add your favorite seasonings or spices/herbs to this soup! Always season to your preference.
- Freeze: If planning to freeze the soup, don't overcook the potatoes, make sure they're tender but still a bit crisp. Cool down the soup first then portion it out into quart-size freezer bags or individual air-tight containers. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 193kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 21mg | Sodium: 483mg | Potassium: 627mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 2830IU | Vitamin C: 13.4mg | Calcium: 60mg | Iron: 3.2mg