This Chicken Potato Soup that is super healthy, seriously delicious and really LOW calories! What else? It’s also ready in only 30 minutes! Makes for a great lunch or dinner and freezes well.
I don’t claim to be a healthy eating expert, far from it but I know a good thing when I see it. Soups are healthy for you, well most soups. We’re not talking the cheese or cream laden ones, we’re talking a good hearty vegetable soup with some sort of protein.
They’re also comforting and delicious. I do consider myself an expert on soups, however, because I have made many different soups in my day. A good hearty chicken and potato soup is a favorite of mine because of its simplicity and its wonderful flavors.
This is one of my favorite soups, loaded with chicken and potatoes and with lots of lemon. It’s a meal on its own and while it really is pretty low in calories, there is no compromising taste here.
TIPS FOR MAKING THE PERFECT CHICKEN POTATO SOUP:
- If using a store bought chicken broth, use a good low sodium or no sodium chicken broth. This way you can control the salt content yourself.
- While using chicken broth is perfectly fine, to get the most flavor, make your own chicken broth. You can use and part of the chicken, with bones and skin, or even an entire chicken. Usually I cut a whole chicken in pieces and boil it in water for about half hour to 45 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. To the broth, I add a little bit of salt, pepper and about a tsp of vegeta or a bouillon chicken cube for extra flavor. I use the chicken breast meat for the soup, which I shred and the rest of the chicken I roast in the oven for a few minutes and serve along side a salad, and use the entire broth in the chicken potato soup.
- If using store bought chicken broth, use a rotisserie chicken from your local supermarket. You could shred all the meat from it, use most of it in the soup and the rest to make chicken salad sandwiches.
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #cravinghomecooked on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Chicken Potato Soup
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 14 oz fire roasted tomatoes, diced, or regular diced tomatoes
- 8 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
- 3 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp pepper, or to taste
- 2 tbsp parsley, fresh, chopped
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion, carrots and celery then season with salt and pepper. Saute for about 5 minutes until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the potatoes to the pot and stir. Cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the fire roasted tomatoes and chicken broth to the pot, stir then bring to a boil. Turn down the heat to a medium-low and cook for about 15 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Stir in the shredded chicken and lemon juice. Taste for seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper as necessary.
- Garnish with parsley. Serve while warm.