Smothered in barbecue sauce, covered in melted cheese, and then topped with crispy bacon, fresh diced tomatoes, and green onions this Monterey Chicken is absolutely delicious! It’s a fantastic way to dress up some simple chicken breasts and is a super easy 30-minute meal!
- 4 chicken breasts boneless and skinless
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese or cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 slices bacon cooked and crumbled up
- 1 medium tomato finely diced
- 1 green onion chopped
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper on both sides. Pour half the barbecue sauce on the bottom of a casserole dish, then place the chicken breasts in the dish. Brush the remaining sauce over the chicken breasts.
Transfer the casserole dish to the oven and bake the chicken for 20 to 25 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken breasts reaches 165°F.
Top chicken breasts with shredded cheese and place under the broiler for another 2 to 3 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
Garnish the breasts with diced tomatoes, crumbled bacon and green onions. Serve immediately.
- Crisp up the bacon. Take the time to cook the bacon to crunchy perfection. It adds a yummy touch of salty savory flavor and a nice crunchiness that contrasts well with the melted cheese and tender baked chicken.
- Temp your chicken. To ensure that the chicken breast is fully cooked, you will want to make sure that the chicken has reached 165°F (74°C) by using an instant-read digital meat thermometer. Temping the chicken also helps to keep you from overcooking it as well.
- Add tasty toppings. This Monterey Chicken bake is delicious served exactly as it is, but if you want to jazz it up even more, serve it with a dollop of sour cream, Cheesy Guacamole, or Homemade Buffalo Sauce.
You can store leftover Monterey Chicken breast in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months! To reheat, just put it in the microwave for about 4 minutes on medium heat or in the oven at 350°F (177°C) for about 12 minutes. If the chicken is frozen, the best option is to reheat it in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
Serving: 1breast | Calories: 585kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 59g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 0.1g | Cholesterol: 184mg | Sodium: 1607mg | Potassium: 1153mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 25g | Vitamin A: 741IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 253mg | Iron: 2mg