A homemade Buffalo Sauce Recipe made from 5 simple ingredients you will have in your kitchen already! This sauce can be kept for up to a month and is perfect for wings, dips, and more!
Buffalo Sauce is essentially a more lavish version of hot sauce, enriched with melted butter. It’s extremely easy to make, and is perfect on just about anything! Especially, my favourite, chicken wings! This flavorful sauce adds a nice kick to any meal you see fit.
Made with your favourite hot sauce (I used Frank’s because I am a die-hard fan), melted butter, savory worcestershire and a hint of garlic this sauce is the ideal combination of flavors to incorporate into your favorite dishes. In only a matter of minutes you can have a homemade sauce that can be kept for up to a month! Say goodbye to store bought, let’s get started and add a little kick to your life!
What is buffalo sauce?
The original buffalo sauce is a combination of melted butter, hot sauce, and cayenne pepper. Traditionally tossed over deep fried wings or served on the side as a dry wing dip. “Buffalo” is now attached to a variety of other items, such as buffalo shrimp, buffalo cauliflower or buffalo pizza to name a few.
Hot Sauce Vs Buffalo Sauce
The difference is in the texture and taste! Even though hot sauce is one of the main ingredients in buffalo sauce – there is a difference! Hot sauce is made up of hot peppers, salt, and vinegar, whereas buffalo sauce is much thicker and has more of a buttery, garlic flavor.
Keep scrolling down to the printable recipe card for a list of FULL ingredient amounts and instructions or click the “Jump to Recipe” button at the top of the page!
- Hot Sauce – I strongly recommend using Frank’s Red Hot Sauce for this one! But you can use your favourite.
- Butter – I used unsalted to control the sodium levels.
- Worcestershire Sauce – To add to the rich, savory flavor.
- Garlic Powder – Because everything is better with garlic.
- Salt – To taste.
How to make the best buffalo sauce
- Combine and Heat Ingredients – Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk often until the butter melts and sauce comes to a simmer. Once the sauce is simmering remove from heat. Taste for seasoning and adjust with salt if necessary.
- Cool and Thicken – Allow the sauce to cool slightly. You’ll notice the sauce will thicken as it cools.
- Store – Store in an airtight container or jar in the fridge for future use.
What to serve with your homemade sauce
When I hear buffalo sauce, all I can think about are BUFFALO WINGS , but, this tasty sauce can be used for a variety of different dishes! I love putting it on top of tacos, avocado toast, quesadillas, basically anything I want to add a flavorful kick to! Try using your homemade buffalo sauce in:
- Buffalo Chicken Lasagna
- Buffalo Chicken Wing Soup
- Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
- Buffalo Chicken French Loaf
- Potato Skins
- Buffalo Chicken Puff Pastry Pockets
- Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
How to store
After your sauce has cooled, store any leftovers in an airtight container or jar in the fridge for up to one month!
Did you like this homemade sauce recipe? Try these!
- Creamy Cheese Sauce
- Homemade Teriyaki Sauce
- World’s Best Cranberry Sauce
- Sweet and Sour Sauce
- Bechamel Sauce
- Chimichurri Sauce
- Homemade Tzatziki Sauce
- Enchilada Sauce
- Marinara Sauce
- 1 Ingredient Caramel Sauce
Craving More? Follow Along:
Buffalo Sauce Recipe
- Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk often until the butter melts and suauce comes to a simmer.
- Once the sauce is simmering remove from heat. Taste for seasoning and adjust with salt if necessary.
- Allow the sauce to cool slightly. You'll notice the sauce will thicken as it cools.
- Store in an airtight container or jar in the fridge.
Tips & Notes:
- Should yield around 1 1/2 cups of sauce, or 24 tbsp.
- Nutritional information is per tbsp.
- After your sauce has cooled, store any leftovers in an airtight container or jar in the fridge for up to one month!