A comfort food classic that’s perfect for feeding a crowd! This Chicken Alfredo Bake is penne pasta tossed with cooked chicken, and a creamy sauce! Finished with cheese and baked to perfection – no one can resist this delicious dish!
Everyone loves a delicious hearty pasta dish! I can honestly say that I could eat pasta every day and, no, that’s not an over-exaggeration. I used basic every-day ingredients to give you a casserole that is delicious and comforting all on its own, but it so easy to customize to your personal tastes.
This seriously is one of my all time favourite meals. What’s not to love, we’ve got lots of cheesy creamy pasta that’s loaded with chicken then baked to perfection. Trust me, this will become your family’s favorite dish.
- Pasta – I used penne but other small shapes like rigatoni, farfalle, rotini, shells, or ziti will work too.
- Chicken – Fully cooked and shredded. I used a rotisserie chicken, totally simple and delicious.
- Butter – Unsalted.
- Garlic – Feel free to add more or less depending on your preference.
- Flour – All purpose flour to thicken the sauce. You can use a cornstarch slurry instead.
- Broth – I used chicken broth, but vegetable will work too. Try to use low-sodium.
- Half & half cream – This is half milk, half cream. About 10% MF.
- Onion powder – You can use more or less as you like.
- Spices – Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
- Cheese – I’m using mozzarella and parmesan cheese today, but you’re welcome to use any of your favorite cheeses.
- Parsley – Chopped, for garnish.
How To Make Chicken Alfredo Bake
- Prep the pasta: Cook the pasta according to package instructions. Drain and rinse with cold water to prevent sticking. Preheat the oven to 375F and grease a 9×13″ baking dish.
- Make the sauce: Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté the garlic for about 30 seconds, then whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute.Whisk in the broth and cream, then bring to a simmer while stirring until the sauce thickens. Add the spices and cheeses, then stir until smooth.
- Assemble the casserole: In a large bowl, mix the pasta and chicken with the sauce. Add everything to the prepared baking dish and top with remaining mozzarella. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes or until the cheese starts to brown. Garnish with parsley and serve.
What Kind Of Chicken Should I Use?
If you have some leftover pre-cooked chicken in you fridge, this is the perfect opportunity to use it all up. I used a rotisserie chicken because the meat is always wonderfully pull-apart tender. Since I shredded the chicken for this recipe, it was a great option.
You can also cook some chicken breasts, thighs, legs, or even a whole chicken, seasoned with a little salt & pepper if you like, and shred it up for the recipe.
What Else Can I Add
This is a great opportunity to sneak some veggies into your life, or even treat yourself with yummy mix-ins! Give some of these ideas a try:
How To Store Leftovers
You can either transfer leftovers to an airtight container, or cover the baking dish with foil or plastic. Store in the fridge for 3-5 days.
Did you want to make this recipe ahead? Prepare all the ingredients in the baking dish, wrap well with plastic, and then top with a layer of foil. It will last 3-6 months in the freezer. To bake, transfer the baking dish to the fridge the night before to thaw. Bake uncovered at 375F for 25-30 minutes.
Did You Love This Recipe? Try These!
- Easy Pasta Alfredo
- Instant Pot Baked Ziti
- Mac n Cheese Souffle
- Buffalo Chicken Lasagna
- Tuna Noodle Casserole
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole
- Cheesy Chicken Pasta
Chicken Alfredo Bake
- 12 oz penne pasta, uncooked
- 4 tbsp butter, unsalted
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper, or to taste
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 cups Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded, such as Rotisserie
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions. Drain, rinse and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F degrees. Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds until aromatic. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 more minute to cook off the raw taste flour.
- Add the broth and half and half, then bring to a simmer, whisking constantly until sauce thickens.
- Stir in the onion powder, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Whisk in the Parmesan cheese and 2 cups of the mozzarella cheese. Stir until the cheese has melted.
- Add the pasta and chicken to a large bowl. Pour the sauce over and toss everything really well.
- Transfer the pasta to the prepared baking dish and top with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and starts to brown.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.
- Leftovers: You can either transfer leftovers to an airtight container, or cover the baking dish with foil or plastic. Store in the fridge for 3-5 days.
- Make ahead: Prepare all the ingredients in the baking dish, wrap well with plastic, and then top with a layer of foil. It will last 3-6 months in the freezer. To bake, transfer the baking dish to the fridge the night before to thaw. Bake uncovered at 375F for 25-30 minutes.