Super quick and Easy Fried Rice in less than 10 minutes. This fried rice is very versatile, made with egg, any other protein can be added such as shrimp or chicken.
One of the few times I don’t mind using frozen veggies is when making fried rice. They are so handy to have around. A great tip is to always have cooked rice in your fridge, but make sure you use it because it only lasts 4 to 6 days in the fridge if properly stored.
I make fried rice quite often because we love it and it’s one of the quickest meals you can make.
One of the greatest things about fried rice is its versatility. Usually I just make a plain vegetarian version such as this (I’m assuming eggs are vegetarian) and then cook my protein separately such as chicken or shrimp.
HOW TO MAKE THE PERFECT FRIED RICE
- Use the right rice, such as a long grain like Basmati rice, a medium grain like Jasmine rice or even sushi rice.
- Plan ahead and cook the rice the day before or even in the morning. Refrigerated, day old rice is ideal for fried rice because it evaporates and the rice gets drier and starch reduces.
- Make sure you always rinse the rice first to reduce excess starchiness.
- Use a wok if you can. A wok is ideal for fried rice because it offers different zones of heat, so as you cook you can push ingredients off to the side so you can add others to the center and cook those.
- Keep it simple. We sometimes tend to add too many ingredients, too many sauces, but fried rice is all about the rice and all the additions should be about flavor enhancers.
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #cravinghomecooked on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Easy Fried Rice
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil, or canola oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup peas, frozen
- 1/2 cup carrots, chopped (frozen or fresh)
- 2 green onion, chopped
- 3 cups cooked rice, (day old if possible)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce, low sodium
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 eggs
- Heat the vegetable oil and sesame oil in a wok over high heat until smoking. Add the garlic and saute for 15 seconds until aromatic.
- Add the peas, carrots, and green onions to the wok fry just until tender.
- Add the cooked rice to the wok, the soy sauce, dark soy sauce and rice vinegar. Toss everything together and cook until the rice is pale brown and toasted. It should have a chewy texture and should take about 3 minutes.
- Push the rice up the side of the wok and crack the eggs in the wok. If needed add a bit more oil before cracking the eggs. Use a spatula to scramble the egg and break it into small bits.
- Toss everything together. Serve immediately.