This Mushroom Arugula Warm Salad is all you need for a satisfying and delicious lunch. Toasted walnuts, perfectly sautéed shiitake mushrooms, dried cranberries and nutty baby arugula, all tossed with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Simple and delicious!
Time for something healthy, right? This is my kind of healthy, right here. While I do love salads, I’m quite picky when it comes to my salad. Over the years I have made quite a few, many favorites, so it’s kind of hard to tell which one it is. But this Mexican Street Corn salad comes to mind when thinking of a favorite.
However, I do love a warm salad, and this is my kind of warm salad. It has to do with the mushrooms. Gorgeous shiitake mushrooms, perfectly sautéed, toasted walnuts, a few dried cranberries and lots of baby arugula, tossed together with some balsamic vinegar. Trust me, it’s good. Really good.
It’s simple, it’s quick, it’s delicious. The shiitake mushrooms are very meaty, so while this is all vegetarian, you won’t feel like you’re missing the meat. All you need are those amazing mushrooms.
You can serve this as a salad which is perfect for a nice lunch, or you could serve this as a side dish, next to a juicy steak or grilled chicken. Totally up to you.
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #cravinghomecooked on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Mushroom Arugula Warm Salad
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1/2 cup cranberries dried
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 6 cups baby arugula or regular arugula
- Add the walnuts to a large dry skillet and heat over medium heat for about 2 minutes until they start to brown a bit. You know when they're done when they start to smell toasted. Transfer walnuts to a small bowl.
- To the same skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the shiitake mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and sauté until lightly browned, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cranberries, balsamic vinegar and stir.
- Add the baby arugula and stir. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until the baby arugula starts to wilt a bit. Remove from heat and add the walnuts back in. Toss well and serve while warm.