Delicious Homemade Taco Seasoning that’s super quick to make, loaded with chili powder, garlic and onion powder, chili flakes and a few other great spices. This perfectly balanced taco seasoning is perfect for tacos, burritos, chicken, beef and so much more!
Why buy the prepackaged stuff when you can make your own fresh seasonings, such as this taco seasoning or your own Moroccan spice blend. It truly does make a difference to your dishes. With this blend of Mexican spices you can turn any recipes with chicken, beef or pork into a delight and a family favorite.
These spice mixes are so easily made by the home cook for later use. Mexican recipes such as tacos, fajitas and burritos will take on the taste of Mexico with this spicy and aromatic spice blend. Having a mix of tacos in the pantry is extremely convenient, especially when you want to prepare a quick and tasty meal but with a special flavor.
Ingredients You Need To Make Your Own Taco Seasoning
Detailed measurements and instructions can be found on the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page.
- Chili powder – This is one of the main ingredients in this spice blend. Chili powder comes in different spice levels so pay attention when you buy it. I prefer my chili powder on the mild side since I add it to all kinds of dishes, but buy your favorite.
- Garlic powder – The unmistakable flavor of garlic is appreciated in this spice blend.
- Onion powder – Onion is one of the most popular and most used flavors in all world cuisines and it makes a difference in this spice blend.
- Red Pepper Chili flakes – same as red chili flakes or pepper flakes, this crushed red pepper is a condiment I use often in my recipes. It’s usually produced from cayenne type peppers so it has a nice mild spice to it.
- Oregano – Dried oregano is what you’ll need here. Did you know oregano is a flowering plant in the mint family? Also oregano can be more flavorful when dried than fresh!
- Paprika – Paprika has a beautiful red color, but also a great taste. I love using paprika in many dishes, so I prefer buying a good organic paprika. Paprika also comes smoked or sweet, for this spice blend, you’ll want to use sweet paprika.
- Cumin – Cumin is part of many spice blends such as curry powder, but it’s a common spice used in a lot of cuisines such as Latin American, Middle Eastern, African and Indian.
- Salt & Pepper – most common of spices, so a must in this blend.
How Do You Make Taco Seasoning
Making your own taco seasoning is as easy as you can get. Once you measure out all the spices all that’s left to do is mix them all together and store them in airtight container or jar. What can be easier?
What Can You Use Taco Seasoning For?
This taco seasoning works great with ground beef, ground chicken, pork or chicken cutlets! It can also be used in recipes with potatoes, rice and vegetables. It can be added to almost anything you’d like such as tacos, burritos, fajitas, etc.
How Long Can You Keep Taco Seasoning In The Pantry?
Taco seasoning can be safely kept in your pantry, if stored properly for about 1 to 2 years.
Want More Spices You Can Make On Your Own? Try These:
Craving More? Follow Along:
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano dried
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika sweet
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine all 9 ingredients. Mix well.
- Place in a storage container with a tight fitting lid.
- Store in a cool, dry place for up 1 to 2 years.