This Chili Recipe is a hearty spin on a comforting home cooked classic. You’ll be curled up on the couch with a bowl of the stuff in no time!
This chili is cooked on the stovetop and it’s perfect served with some delicious crusty bread and topped with a bit of sour cream, cheddar cheese and green onions.
The Best Chili Recipe
Chili, such a rich comforting dish that is a certifiable classic in many a home. Not only is it full of rich hearty beef, but it’s stuffed to the gills with spices full of depth and tender veggies.
I’ve included a diced jalapeno for some heat and I highly recommend you do too. But that’s not the only thing that makes this recipe the best chili ever, so let’s get into what exactly sets this dish apart.
What Makes This Chili The Best?
I really believe that the thing that sets this chili apart from other out there is the combinations of spices. We aren’t just stopping at chili powder today, we’re adding cumin, oregano, cayenne, and paprika.
You’ll get so much flavor our of this dish and in a pretty short amount of time too! You’ll love how easy this recipe is and how long you’ll be able to enjoy it for!
Ingredients In The Best Chili
Detailed measurements and instructions can be found on the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page.
- Veggies – Today we’re using onion, jalapeno, crushed canned tomatoes, and tomato paste.
- Garlic – I’m using lots of garlic for this chili recipe, fresh is best but if canned is all you have just keep in mind that 1 1/2 teaspoons equals one fresh clove.
- Beef – Ground beef, lean or regular will work just fine.
- Spices – Chili powder, cumin, oregano, paprika, and cayenne are our flavor weapons today.
- Beans – We’re just using drained and rinsed red kidney beans from the can today.
- Seasoning – We’re just using salt today, no need for pepper.
- Olive oil – We need something with a neutral flavor to brown and cooked down our onion and beef.
How To Make The Best Chili Recipe
- Saute your sauteables: Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft and transparent, around 5 minutes. Add the ground beef to this and cook for about 6 to 8 minutes till it’s no longer pink.
- Combine the chili: Add the garlic, jalapeno, and tomato paste and stir for 30 seconds till the garlic is aromatic. Add all of the spices and salt before pouring in the kidney beans and crushed tomatoes. Bring this mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve the best chili: Ladle into bowls and top with shredded cheddar cheese, green onions, and sour cream!
Tips For Making This Chili Recipe
- Bulk up your beans! Pinto and black beans are also delicious in this recipe.
- Store bought chili powder works fine, but mixing up your own chili blend tastes even better! Just combine sweet paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic & onion powder, cumin, and oregano.
- Looking to add more veggies? A combination of bell pepper, mushrooms, corn, zucchini, or celery works wonders in this dish.
- I recommend simmering this chili for 20 minutes because I wanted to share a quick recipe for a delicious dish today, but if you’d like those flavors to develop even better feel free to let it simmer for up to an hour!
- Want to go crazy and make a chili that will knock some sock off? This recipe is more of a commitment but check out the World’s Best Chili on my sister blog, Jo Cooks.
How To Serve This Chili
This chili is delicious on it’s own, but it can also be used in so many different ways!
- Spoon this dish over top of a baked potato for a hearty winter meal.
- Have you ever had chili with some creamy polenta? It’s to die for!
- You can mix it up with some Mac And Cheese for a sinfully delicious dinner.
- Mix it with some rice and stuff some bell peppers before popping in the oven until the peppers are soft and the chili is completely warmed.
- Serve it with some sliced avocado and crispy tortilla strips. This dish is so versatile so feel free to have some fun!
Storing Leftover Chili
This dish stores well in either the fridge or freezer! Just pack it in an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Try These Other Comforting Recipes:
- Instant Pot Beef Stew
- Cheesy Taco Pasta
- Easy Pasta Alfredo
- White Chicken Chili
- Chicken Pot Pie
- Braised Lamb Shanks
- Easy Beef Lasagna
- Baked Ziti
The Best Chili Recipe
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lb ground beef
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano, dried
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, optional
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 15 oz kidney beans, red, drained and rinsed (1 can)
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes, 1 can
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until it softens and becomes translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and cook until no longer pink, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic, jalapeno, tomato paste, stir and cook for another 30 seconds until aromatic.
- Stir in the chili powder, cumin, oregano, paprika, cayenne and salt. Pour in the kidney beans and crushed tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper as necessary.
- Ladle into bowls and top with cheddar cheese, sour cream and green onions.