This recipe is everything you need to know about making an Acai Bowl at home! Simple ingredients, even more simple to make, and absolutely delicious! You’re definitely missing out if you haven’t jumped on the bowl trend!
Have you jumped on the acai bowl bandwagon yet? If not, I promise you’re about to! Acai bowls are a nutrient dense powerhouse, full of antioxidants, fibre and so many healthy fats! It is an incredibly easy way to get a nutrition boost and get yourself back on track. You know, if you’ve been over-indulging the last couple weeks with the holidays and such!
These bowls are great for many reasons, but mostly because they’re so versatile! You can top it with any and all the toppings you want! It’s truly a guilt-free breakfast, lunch, or snack, that is going to leave you feeling refreshed and satisfied! I mean, how can you resist something so beautiful and colorful!
What Is An Açai Bowl?
An açai bowl is a blended mixture of acai berries and other fruits, served in a bowl and topped with a variety of fresh fruit, nuts, and seeds.
Pronounced “ah-sigh-ee” – the acai berry is a small deep purple fruit. It comes from its own palm tree located in Central and South America, and tastes like a combination of wild berries and chocolate. Açai fruit is loaded with antioxidants and has numerous health benefits for the body! Typically fruit is incredibly high in sugar and low in fat – but the acai berry is actually higher in fat and lower in sugar, just one more reason to love this fruit!
- Acai berry – I’m using 2 frozen acai berry packets today. If you’re unable to find this flavor, feel free to choose another!
- Milk – Any fat percentage you like, will work great. Almond milk and coconut milk are also great options!
- Fruit – I am using using a frozen fruit combination of banana (sliced from frozen) blueberries, and strawberries.
- Honey – Any brand will work great!
- Chia seeds – These are such a delicious element in this bowl!
- Coconut – Unsweetened, shredded or shaved.
- Granola – Choose your favorite or you can make your own!
How To Make An Acai Bowl
Acai bowls are truly as simple as blending a few ingredients together, pouring them into a bowl, and then adding your favorite toppings!
- Blend: In a blender add both acai packets, milk, and frozen bananas, blueberries, and strawberries. Blend the ingredients until smooth and then pour into a large entree-size bowl.
- Finish: Top the bowl with your choice of favorite fruits, chia seeds, coconut, and granola. To finish, drizzle with honey – and enjoy!
- Prepare ahead of time – everything needs to be frozen. The packets of acai will already come frozen and frozen fruits is everywhere. The bananas however, will require some thinking ahead so they are ready when you are! Freezing the bananas a few hours ahead is crucial to the texture of the acai bowl.
- Consistency is key – the more frozen the ingredients are the thicker your acai bowl will be. Try not to let the fruit sit out of the freezer for too long before making the bowl, as it will indeed change the texture!
- Try to avoid sweeteners – like sugars or sweetened yogurt. As soon as these elements are added, your bowl is being turned from a healthy snack to a dessert (which may work for some people!).
- Not a berry fan – fret not! You can easily blend acai berries with peaches, pineapple and even mango if you prefer a different flavor!
What Other Toppings Can I Use?
You could honestly make an acai bowl everyday and top it with different options – it’s that versatile! Here are some suggestions for other toppings on your bowl!
- Hemp seeds
- Peanut butter
- Cacao nibs
- Dark chocolate chips
- Pumpkin seeds
Sealed in a glass jar an acai bowl (smoothie portion) will last in the fridge for up to 3 days. I definitely don’t recommend storing it will all the toppings as they will become mushy!
Freezing acai bowls is actually a great idea! Whether it is from leftovers or for making ahead of time, freezing your bowl is super beneficial. Simply fill a glass jar about half way to the top with acai smoothie mixture, put a lid on and place it into the freezer. When ready to eat, remove from freezer to thaw overnight in the fridge, and then add toppings the next day when you’re ready to eat!
Stored properly in a sealed container or jar, acai smoothie mixture will last in the fridge for up to 3 months.
More Delicious Recipes Here:
- Chocolate Smoothie
- Chicken Taquitos
- Baked Chicken Drumsticks
- Summer Fruit Salad with Lemon Dressing
- Easy Hummus
- Acai Smoothie
Craving More? Follow Along:
- 2 packets frozen acai berry (1 package is 100g)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 medium banana sliced and frozen
- 1/2 cup blueberries frozen
- 1/2 cup strawberries frozen
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 2 tablespoon unsweetened coconut shredded or shaved
- 2 tablespoon granola
- To your blender add the acai packets, milk, banana, strawberries and blueberries. Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl.
- Top the bowl with your favorite fruits/berries, such as slices bananas, strawberries, blueberries, blacberries, chia seeds, coconut and some granole. Drizzle with honey and enjoy immediately.
Tips & Notes:
- Sealed in a glass jar an acai bowl (smoothie portion) will last in the fridge for up to 3 days. I definitely don’t recommend storing it will all the toppings as they will become mushy!
- To freeze, fill a glass jar about half way to the top with acai smoothie mixture, put a lid on and place it into the freezer. When ready to eat, remove from freezer to thaw overnight in the fridge, and then add toppings the next day when you’re ready to eat!
- Stored properly in a sealed container or jar, acai smoothie mixture will last in the fridge for up to 3 months.