Açai Smoothie – A health conscious smoothie made with açai berry, dates, mango and fresh baby spinach. The perfect way to start your day or perk your mood in the afternoon!
This açai (pronounced AH-sigh-YEE) smoothie is packed with nutritious ingredients including the açai berry – the fruit of all fruits. This blended beauty also features dates, orange juice, mango and baby spinach; to make for a fresh, brightly flavored, healthy smoothie!
With almost zero prep and the blender doing all of the work, this is an easy breakfast or snack that you can really feel good about enjoying! In this recipe you will find out all of the health benefits the star of the show: Açai, has to offer!
What is açai?
Açai is a round berry, similar in shape and size to a grape. The berry itself comes from the açai palm tree, which is native to rainforests of Central and South America. The berries have a deep, dark purple skin, yellow flesh, and a large-sized seed inside (the seed takes up about 80% of the fruit itself.) Açai berries have a slightly sweet-and-earthy flavor that’s often compared to blueberries mixed with a rich, supremely dark chocolate.
- Açai – I used a package of frozen Açai berry puree.
- Dates – Pitted.
- Orange Juice – I used fresh orange juice, whatever you have will work!
- Mango – I used frozen mango chunks.
- Spinach – Fresh baby spinach.
How to make an açai smoothie
- Blend Ingredients – To your blender add the acai packet, dates, orange juice, mango, baby spinach and water. Blend until smooth, serve immediately.
Note: If you’d like a thicker shake, feel free to add a handful of ice cubes and blend again until your desired texture is achieved.
Benefits of açai
Açai berries are a packed with nutrients and also contain very little sugar, making them a SUPER berry! There are plenty of auspicious benefits, to name a few:
- Fiber: Açai berries are a great source of heart-healthy fiber in your diet.
- Antioxidants: Açai has an incredible amount of antioxidants! About three times the amount of blueberries. These antioxidants will help neutralize the damaging effects of free-radicals in your body.
- Low sugar: Açai is perfect if you’re looking for a dessert alternative. It contains very little sugar (anywhere from 0 to 2 grams) making it a healthier option than almost any other fruit – not to mention a LOT healthier than cakes, ice cream, muffins or cookies.
- Calcium: Açai is a balanced source of calcium – therefore beneficial to your bones, heart, and muscles!
What else can I add to my smoothie?
This list is endless for what you can add to your smoothies! Mix it up and add your favourite fruits, goji berries, blueberries or raspberries would be fantastic! Mix-ins like greek yogurt, honey and matcha powder or add in more health conscious ingredients like spirulina, chia seeds and flax seeds. Get creative and make this smoothie to your liking.
How to serve your smoothie
Immediately after blending, serve this delicious, healthy, refreshing smoothie for breakfast, as a snack or whenever you have a hankering for a healthful treat!
Did you like this easy, healthy recipe? Try these!
- Acai Bowl
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Chia Pudding
- Easy Summer Fruit Salad
- 3 Ingredient Healthy Energy Bars
- No Bake Energy Bites
- The Perfect Lemonade
- Breakfast Smoothie
Craving More? Follow Along:
- 3½ ounce acai berry puree frozen, 1 package
- 2 dried dates pitted
- ½ cup orange juice freshly squeezed
- 1 cup mango cut in chunks, frozen
- ½ cup baby spinach fresh
- 1 cup water
- To your blender add the acai packet, dates, orange juice, mango, baby spinach and water. Blend until smooth.
- If you'd like a thicker shake, feel free to add a handful of ice cubes and blend again until your desired texture is achieved. Serve immediately.