What makes this the BEST Ever Spinach Dip? Loads of spinach, artichokes, 2 different types of melted, gooey cheese and packed with flavor. This spinach dip will keep you and your guests coming back for more!
Spinach dip is such a classic recipe and great for all occasions! Whether you have guests coming over to celebrate game day, a holiday, a party or you just need some good comfort food, this dip is the answer.
Served hot with a side of tortilla chips, everyone will be eager to dive into it! It’s simple, delicious and always a crowd pleaser. You will be the star of the show… if this dip doesn’t steal your thunder. I’m not lying when I say this spinach dip is the BEST EVER.
- Olive Oil – If you don’t have olive oil you can use sunflower, safflower, avocado or vegetable oil.
- Onion – We want something that cooks down well like white or yellow.
- Garlic – I always use fresh garlic, not the one that comes in a jar. I find the flavor is much better with fresh garlic. To save time, I buy the peeled garlic.
- All Purpose Flour – You can use gluten-free flour if you want.
- Cream – Heavy is my preference to make this dip extra creamy.
- Spinach – I used frozen spinach – thawed and chopped.
- Artichoke Hearts – I used canned (not marinated), you can chop up fresh artichoke hearts if you prefer.
- Cheese – This recipe calls for two types of cheese. I used Parmesan and Monterey Jack but you can use your favourite types! Feta is another great option.
- Sour Cream – This ingredient will add tang and creaminess to our dip, you can substitute it with a nice thick Greek Yogurt.
- Lemon Juice – For a bright splash of citrus.
- Tabasco – I like the flavor it adds but you can use your favourite hot sauce!
- Salt & Pepper – To taste.
How to Make Spinach Dip
- Cook Onion and Garlic – Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and garlic, sauté until softened and translucent, but do not let them brown. Stir in the flour.
- Add the rest of the Ingredients – Whisk in the heavy cream. Add the chopped spinach and artichoke hearts to the skillet and mix. Stir in the Parmesan cheese, sour cream, lemon juice, tabasco, salt and pepper to the skillet. Cook for 2 more minutes until the mixture is hot. Remove from heat.
- Top with Cheese – Top the skillet with the Monterey Jack cheese and let it rest for 2 minutes until the cheese melts.
- Serve & Enjoy – Serve hot with tortilla chips.
Can I Use Fresh Spinach?
If you are using fresh spinach, you will need to cook it down first! The fastest way to cook down the spinach would be to toss it in a pan and give it a quick sauté on the stove top. Spinach is a tender, leafy green that contains quite a lot of H2O, sautéing it will cook off some of the excess water – which is why I prefer that method. The recipe calls for one box of frozen (10 oz) – I’ve found that equals out to about a one pound bunch of fresh.
What Are the Benefits of Spinach?
Spinach has a plethora of health benefits! It has a high nutritional value and is very rich in antioxidants. There have been multiple studies that show how spinach helps combat many cancers, helps boost eye health and has strong anti-ageing properties… adding to the list of why this is the best ever spinach dip.
What Else Can I Add
- Cream Cheese
- Water Chestnuts
- MORE cheese – if you want to add some more spice to the dip try adding a habanero cheddar or pepper jack cheese.
How To Serve
Let’s be honest… anything you pair with this spinach dip will just act as a vessel for the dip itself, it’s THAT good. Here are some great options!
- Tortilla Chips
- Sourdough Bread
- Crackers – try using a cheese or veggie cracker to enhance the flavors in the dip!
- Veggie Sticks
- Pita Bread
Your dip should last 3-4 days in the refrigerator; it’s important to keep it chilled and not left out after eating. As for freezing – dairy-based dips made with sour cream, cream cheese or other dairy products do not typically freeze well. In my opinion, this dip is so simple and quick to make you won’t have to freeze it for a later date. Reiterating that this is the best spinach dip ever… you probably won’t have any leftovers anyway.
Did You Like This Recipe? Try these!
- Easy Hummus
- Cheesy Guacamole
- Spicy Cheesy Corn and Tomato Dip
- Baked Parmesan Zucchini Crisps
- Potato Skins
- Cowboy Caviar
- Baba Ganoush
- Eggplant Dip (Salata de Vinete)
- Pico de Gallo Recipe
- Bacon Corn Dip
- Avocado Shrimp Salsa
Best Ever Spinach Dip
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 10 oz frozen spinach, thawed, chopped (1 box)
- 1 cup artichoke hearts, chopped, (canned but not marinated)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and saute until softened and translucent, but do not let it brown. Add the garlic and saute for another 30 seconds until aromatic.
- Add the flour to the skillet and stir. Cook for another minute to remove the raw flour taste.
- Whisk in the heavy cream and bring to a simmer. Add the chopped spinach and artichoke hearts to the skillet and stir them in. Cook for a couple minutes until the spinach and aritchoke warm up.
- Add the Parmesan cheese, sour cream, lemon juice, tabasco, salt and pepper to the skillet and stir everything together. Cook for 2 more minutes until the mixture is hot. Remove from heat.
- Top the skillet with the Monterey Jack cheese and let it rest for 2 minutes until the cheese melts a bit.
- Serve hot with tortilla chips.
- Your dip should last 3-4 days in the refrigerator; it’s important to keep it chilled and not left out after eating.
- As for freezing – dairy-based dips made with sour cream, cream cheese or other dairy products do not typically freeze well. In my opinion, this dip is so simple and quick to make you won’t have to freeze it for a later date.