This Broccoli Salad is full of fresh and colorful broccoli with beautiful crisp bites of apple, cranberries, onion, walnuts and sunflower seeds. Topped with an easy, home-made dressing; this salad is distinctive, flavorful and simple…. a must try!
Broccoli salad is so quick and easy, it requires no cooking and will soon be an in demand dish at all of your gatherings! Generally served in the summer, it is a major hit at BBQs, potlucks or …. in my opinion, any party.
This fresh salad is so enticing you’ll want to serve it all year round! Fresh apple and cranberry, crunchy walnuts and sunflower seeds accompanied by the bold taste of onion all amidst beautiful, crisp florets of broccoli – this salad will be a new favourite (if it isn’t already) .
What are the Benefits of Broccoli?
Broccoli is a nutritional powerhouse full of vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants. Low in calories and packed with vitamin C, vitamin K and folic acids – this super food is beneficial to any diet. Broccoli also contains significant amounts of antioxidants which may prevent oxidative stress and cellular damage in your eyes. Safe to say broccoli is an awesome addition to any meal!
Ingredients in Broccoli Salad
Keep scrolling for the full ingredient amounts and instructions…
For the salad:
- Broccoli – Fresh, cut into bite size pieces.
- Apple – Unpeeled, cut into bite size pieces.
- Cranberries – Dried.
- Walnuts – Chopped.
- Sunflower Seeds – You can use salted or unsalted, whatever your preference.
- Onion – I used a small, red onion – Chopped.
For the dressing:
- Mayonnaise – You can use plain greek yogurt instead or cut it out all together if you want a “healthier” version
- Apple Cider Vinegar – You can sub this with white vinegar if you do not have any.
- Salt & Pepper – To taste.
How to Make Broccoli Salad
This simple salad has only a few steps! Making it the perfect addition to any meal..
- Combine the veggies: In a large bowl combine the broccoli, apple, cranberries, walnuts, sunflower seeds and onion.
- Make the dressing: In a small bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, honey, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Toss everything together: Pour the dressing over the broccoli mixture and toss. Refrigerate the salad for at least an hour before serving. While refrigerating the salad isn’t mandatory, I recommend it, it will give all the veggies some time to soak up that great dressing.
What Else Can I Add to My Salad?
The options are endless. Here are some suggestions:
- Cheese – try a nice sharp cheddar or mozzarella, even feta or bleu cheese would be great!
How to Store Leftovers
Another bonus to this broccoli salad is that you can also make it in advance! Since it requires no cooking, it’s perfect for those days you don’t have time to make everything in that moment. Store the salad and the dressing separately and toss together when you need. Voila!
Storing the salad and dressing separately will allow you to keep it in the fridge for up to 4 days. If you have mixed the salad already and still have leftovers, it will last for up to 2 days in the fridge.
Did You Like This Recipe? Try These!
- Mushroom Arugula Warm Salad
- The Ultimate Parmesan Roasted Broccoli
- Easy Panzanella Salad
- Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Pasta
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- Avocado Tomato Salad
- Summer Salad with Herbed Ricotta
- Easy Coleslaw Recipe
- 4 cup broccoli , cut into small bite size pieces
- 1 large apple, unpeeled and cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1.2 small red onion, chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper, or to taste
- In a large bowl combine the broccoli, apple, cranberries, walnuts, sunflower seeds and onion.
- In a small bowl whisk together the maynnaise, honey, apple cider vineger, salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the broccoli mixture and toss everything well together.
- Refrigerate the salad for at least an hour before serving.
- Storing the salad and dressing separately will allow you to keep it in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- If you have mixed the salad already and still have leftovers, it will last for up to 2 days in the fridge.