This Cabbage Soup is a hearty, healthy and delicious vegetable soup that’s easy to make, tastes incredible and it’s ready in 45 minutes! Eat as much as you want, guilt-free!
Do you all remember the cabbage soup diet back in the day? I hate to admit it, but I did try that fad diet. One good thing came out of it, and that is my love for cabbage soup. This Cabbage Soup really is delicious and at only 113 calories for a bowl of this soup, eat lots of it, guilt-free!
Did you know that cabbage soup is really popular in Polish, Slovak and Ukrainian cuisine? It is also found in Czech, German, French and Swedish cuisine. My mom also used to make her version of cabbage soup, similar to this one, loaded with vegetables.
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE IN CABBAGE SOUP
While you can really load this soup with all your favorite veggies and even add protein to it like chicken or beef, here’s my version:
- Olive oil
- Herbs like oregano, thyme, paprika
- Spices like salt ans pepper
- Vegetable broth or chicken broth
HOW TO MAKE CABBAGE SOUP
First you’ll start out by heating the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Stir in the onion, carrots, celery, garlic, cabbage, oregano, thyme, paprika, salt and pepper to taste. Cook for about 5 to 7 minutes until the onions and cabbage softens.
Add in the diced tomatoes and vegetable broth. I prefer a chicken broth but if you’d like to keep this vegetarian, a vegetable broth will work too. I use a low sodium broth. Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce heat to a medium-low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
Garnish with parsley and serve warm! You can also add a tablespoon or two of lemon juice for added flavor if desired.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CABBAGE SOUP
I like to serve this with fresh bread. Garlic bread or cheese toast is another good option. Or just go with crackers, can’t go wrong with those.
HOW TO STORE CABBAGE SOUP
To maximize the shelf life of cooked vegetable soup for safety and quality, refrigerate the vegetable soup promptly in covered airtight containers. Properly stored, cooked vegetable soup will last for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator.
CAN YOU FREEZE CABBAGE SOUP
You can freeze individual servings which is perfect for bringing to work for lunch. I recommend freezing this in covered airtight containers or heavy-duty freezer bags. If properly stored this soup can last in the freezer for about 2 to 3 months.
TRY THESE OTHER EASY GREAT RECIPES:
- Meatloaf Recipe
- Harissa Roasted Chicken and Potatoes
- Lemon Garlic Butter Shrimp
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 medium carrots shredded or chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 head cabbage shredded or chopped
- 1 tsp oregano dried
- 1/2 tsp thyme dried
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp pepper or to taste
- 14.5 oz diced tomatoes 1 can
- 8 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth, low sodium
- 2 tbsp parsley for garnish
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Ad the onion, carrots, celery, garlic cabbage, oregano, thyme, paprika, salt, pepper ad stir. Cook for about 5 to 7 minutes until the onions and cabbage softens.
- Add in the diced tomatoes and broth, bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.