This Easy Milkshake recipe will help you achieve the creamiest, tastiest milkshake out there! Complete with a list of toppings and mix-ins, this classic treat is a summer must!
Making a milkshake is as easy as blending 2 ingredients together! This easy milkshake recipe gives you the perfect ratio of creamy ice cream and milk, not to mention it’s complete with a list of toppings and mix-ins making it completely customizable!
Reminiscent of soda pop shops and carhop days, there is nothing like a cold, creamy milkshake! This recipe is extremely simple, but I can guarantee this milkshake will bring ALL the boys to your yard *wink*.
How the milkshake came to be
The milkshake was said to be invented in Chicago, way back in 1922. A Walgreens employee by the name of Ivar “Pop” Coulson added vanilla ice cream to the popular malted milk drink, inventing the first malted milkshake. Over time, it spread widely, making it one of the most popular drinks at soda shops. Nowadays, you can find a plethora of milkshake varieties all over the world!
Keep scrolling down to the recipe card for FULL ingredient amounts and instructions or click the “Jump to Recipe” button at the top of the page!
- Ice Cream – You can go crazy with options here! Vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry are the basics but you can choose any ice cream you want! Dairy or non-dairy.
- Milk – I used 2% but use your preference! The milk will add to the creaminess of the shake.
How to make an easy milkshake
- Blend Ingredients – Add the ice cream and milk to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add Desired Toppings & Enjoy! – Pour into a large glass and top with whipped cream and your favorite toppings!
Can I make a milkshake without a blender?
Yes! If you don’t happen to have a blender handy and you have a hankering for this creamy treat:
- Toss the ingredients into a large bowl and start folding ice cream with a spatula, slowly incorporating the milk. Mix until you get the desired texture you desire. If you want to add mix-ins, fold them into the mixture!
What can I add to my milkshake?
This is the fun part!
Toppings & Mix-Ins
There are a variety of toppings you can add to your milkshake! The most common would be:
- Whipped cream
- Maraschino Cherries
But you can also mix it up and get really creative! Depending on your choice of ice cream, you can try these options as mix-ins or toppings!
- Oreo Cookies
- Chocolate Chips
- Nuts like toasted peanuts, slivered almonds, or crushed pecans
- Chunks of Fudge
- Top with Fresh Fruit
- Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Various Candy
- Reese’s Pieces, M&M’s etc.
- Chocolate Sticks
- Syrups like hot fudge, caramel, raspberry or strawberry sauce
- Candy Bars
- Nutella or Peanut Butter
- Cheesecake Pieces
The possibilities are endless and you can really get creative with what you add to or top your milkshake with! Have fun and experiment!
Did you like this delicious recipe? Try these!
- Homemade Rocky Road Ice Cream
- Chia Pudding
- Mango Lassi
- Avocado Chocolate Mousse
- Mango Strawberry and Spinach Smoothie
- Acai Bowl
- Triple Layer Rice Krispie Brownies
- The Perfect Lemonade
- Strawberry Milkshake
Craving More? Follow Along:
- 1 1/2 cups ice cream vanilla or chocolate, about 4 scoops
- 1/4 cup milk
- whipped cream
- maraschino cherries
- Add the ice cream and milk to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a large glass and top with whipped cream, or your favorite toppings such as sprinkles or maraschino cherries.
Tips & Notes:
- No blender? No problem: Toss the ingredients into a large bowl and start folding ice cream with a spatula, slowly incorporating the milk. Mix until you get the desired texture you desire. If you want to add mix-ins, fold them into the mixture!
Leave a Review