This delicious Hot Mulled Cider recipe is sure to keep you warm over the holidays! Bold apple flavors with comforting spices and citrus – I have a feeling this traditional winter cocktail is going to be brewing all season long!
Does hot apple cider take anyone else back to their childhood? Any which way it’s prepared, it is such a classic and traditional drink to have over the holiday season and even all winter long! I swear there is nothing better than cozying up with a mug of this mulled cider now that the cold winter months have arrived!
I love this mulled cider and it’s something I make every season. It is almost a comfort beverage that must be indulged in, especially when sitting in front of the fireplace. Add a splash (or a few splashes!) of your favorite liquor and take to one of your Christmas gatherings – it’ll be a Merry Christmas indeed!
What Is Mulled Cider?
Mulled cider is the brewing process of spices; typically star anise, cloves, and cinnamon. There are many different varieties of mulled beverages, such as ciders, wines, juices, and cocktails. check out this delicious mulled wine recipe to see what I’m talking about!
- Apple cider – Any brand will work great.
- Cinnamon sticks – 2 sticks today.
- Orange – We’re going to use the peels as well as the juice.
- Allspice – Have you ever smelled this? Such a beautiful cozy spice!
- Nutmeg – Freshly ground.
- Cloves – 4 cloves is all that’s needed.
- Star anise – A spice you can find in the baking section of the grocery store.
- Brown sugar – For some added sweetness.
How To Make Hot Mulled Cider
- Prepare oranges: Wash the oranges and cut them into slices.
- In a saucepan: Combine, apple cider, cinnamon sticks, oranges slices, spices, cloves, and brown sugar and simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Serve: Pour into mugs and serve hot!
Can I Add Booze?
You better believe it friends! Probably wouldn’t be much of a holiday beverage without it! Here’s a list to give you some ideas as to what might work best!
- Spiced rum
- Apple flavored rum
- Rye whiskey
Tips And Tricks
- Strain it: You may want to strain some of the ingredients out of your cider before pouring into a mug. A mouthful of some of these soggy spices such as star anise is going to be slightly unpleasant!
- Apple cider: Be picky with your apple cider – you want it to be fresh, with no added sweeteners or spices. You’ll know you’re on the right track if your apple cider looks cloudy!
- Spices: Spice the cider to your liking, and try not to go too overboard! The idea behind this mulled cider is moderation and not too much of one ingredient or the other!
What Pairs Best With Hot Mulled Cider?
I love mulled cider with something light or sweet. But it makes for the perfect drink for anytime of day no matter what you’re eating, here are some suggestions:
- Gingerbread Cake
- Blueberry Coffee Cake
- Classic Pancakes
- Banana Nut Muffins
- Crispy Creme Donuts (copycat)
Slow Cooker Instructions
Yes, it’s perfect for mulling the cider as well as keeping it warm which makes it a perfect appliance for this kind of beverage! This is the easiest thing you’re going to do all day, here’s how:
- Make cider: Put all of the ingredients into a 4 – 6 quart crockpot. Turn the slow cooker on low and let mull for for 4 hours. Once finished, keep warm and pour into mugs!
More Must Try Drink Recipes Here:
- Pomegranate Cider Mimosas
- Haunted Orchid Cocktail
- Pina Colada
- Mulled Wine
- Grenadine Sunrise
- Classic Canadian Caesar Recipe
- Red Grapefruit and Basil Mimosas
- Raspberry Fizz
Craving More? Follow Along:
Hot Mulled Cider
- 8 cups apple cider
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 orange peels and juice
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 cloves
- 4 star anise
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- Wash the orange then cut it into slices.
- Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Pour into mugs and serve.
Tips & Notes:
- Slow Cooker Instructions: Put all of the ingredients into a 4 – 6 quart crockpot. Turn the slow cooker on low and let mull for for 4 hours. Once finished, keep warm and pour into mugs!