This delicious Skillet Chicken Parmesan is the perfect choice for a quick and easy 30 minute weeknight meal! Crafted with tender chicken breasts, rich marinara sauce, and an abundance of gooey cheese, it’s a dish the whole family will love!
Easy Skillet Chicken Parmesan
Who doesn’t love a good traditional oven-baked chicken parmesan? But sometimes, you need a recipe that streamlines the process without compromising on taste. Enter my skillet chicken parmesan, featuring perfectly seared chicken breasts nestled in a rich marinara sauce and covered in a blanket of gooey melted cheese, all cooked in just one pan!
Why You’ll Love This Skillet Chicken Parmesan
- Weeknight Wonder! This recipe requires just a handful of basic ingredients and is unbelievably easy to whip up. In under 30 minutes, you can have a tasty meal on the table.
- Italian American Classic! Prepare for an explosion of flavor! The combination of perfectly seared chicken, tasty tomato sauce, and the melty goodness of cheese is unbelievably delicious!
- Versatile Favorite! You can serve skillet chicken parmesan over pasta, alongside a green salad, or even sandwiched between a fresh baguette, making this dish suitable for any occasion.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Chicken: I used boneless skinless chicken breasts, but feel free to use boneless skinless chicken thighs if you prefer.
- All-Purpose Flour: Used for coating the chicken and providing a crispy texture.
- Seasonings: Salt and black pepper season the dredge and the overall dish.
- Olive Oil: I suggest using extra virgin olive oil to sear the chicken and add richness.
- Marinara Sauce: You can use store-bought or homemade marinara sauce.
- Garlic Powder: Gives the dish more depth. Feel free to use fresh minced garlic for a more intense flavor.
- Italian Seasoning: This blend of dried oregano, basil, thyme, and rosemary adds a layer of aromatic flavor. If you don’t have any Italian seasoning you can make your own with whatever herbs you have on hand.
- Cheeses: Together mozzarella and parmesan cheese form the cheesy layer on top.
- Fresh Parsley: Used as a garnish, it adds a burst of color and a hint of freshness.
How To Make Skillet Chicken Parmesan
This easy recipe focuses on simplifying a classic dish while maintaining its deliciousness! In just a few steps, you can create a chicken parm that comes close to rivaling your favorite Italian restaurant.
Cook The Chicken
Before cooking you need to coat the chicken. First, combine the all-purpose flour, salt, and black pepper in a shallow bowl. Then dredge each chicken breast in the flour mixture until evenly coated, shaking off any excess.
Now, heat the extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Then carefully place the chicken breasts in the hot oil and sear them for about 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Once seared, remove the breasts from the skillet and set them aside.
Assemble The Dish
Next, reduce the heat to medium-low and pour the marinara sauce into the skillet. Then add the garlic powder and Italian seasoning, and stir. Now, put the seared chicken back into the skillet and immerse them in the sauce. Finally, evenly sprinkle the cheeses over the chicken.
To complete the recipe, cover the skillet with a lid or aluminum foil. Then cook the chicken for another 10 to 15 minutes or until the cheese is completely melted and the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).
Now, turn off the heat and garnish with chopped parsley or fresh basil. Serve your skillet chicken parmesan immediately over some hot homemade pasta if you like and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Absolutely! After searing the chicken, transfer it to an oven-safe dish, cover with sauce and cheese, and bake at 350°F (177°C) for about 10 to 15 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).
Certainly! Prepare the recipe, refrigerate, and reheat in the oven for about 15 minutes at 350°F (177°C), covered with foil.
- Quality ingredients matter. Use fresh chicken breasts, high-grade extra virgin olive oil, flavorful marinara, and decent cheeses. Quality ingredients are the key to Italian cuisine.
- Master the searing process. Achieve the ideal golden brown sear on the chicken breasts by preheating the skillet. Searing locks in juices and adds a rich flavor.
- Use a meat thermometer. Ensure your chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C). This guarantees both food safety and the perfect texture.
- Let it rest. Allow the chicken to sit for a few minutes before serving. This gives the juices time to redistribute and keeps the meat tender.
You can store leftover Skillet Chicken Parmesan for up to 3 days in the refrigerator in an airtight container or wrapped tightly with plastic wrap. For longer storage, freeze it for up to 3 months and let it thaw overnight in the fridge. However, be mindful that freezing may slightly alter the texture.
When ready, reheat it in the oven at 350°F (177°C), covered with foil to maintain moisture. Alternatively, the microwave is a quick option, adding a splash of water to prevent dryness.
Discover More Delicious Skillet Recipes
- Mushroom Cauliflower Skillet
- Skillet Chicken Satay
- Southwest Chicken And Rice Skillet
- Creamy Parmesan Chicken With Mushrooms
- Skillet Lasagna
Craving More? Follow Along:
Skillet Chicken Parmesan
- 4 chicken breasts boneless and skinless
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil extra virgin
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1½ cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- ½ cup parmesan cheese grated
- fresh parsley chopped for garnish
- In a shallow dish, combine the flour, salt, and black pepper. Dredge each chicken breast in the flour mixture, ensuring an even coat.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Once the oil is heated, carefully lay the chicken breasts into the skillet. Sear until golden brown on both sides, approximately 4-5 minutes per side. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Pour the marinara sauce into the skillet and stir in the garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Place the seared chicken breasts back into the skillet, immersing them in the marinara sauce. Evenly distribute the shredded mozzarella and grated Parmesan over the chicken breasts.
- Cover the skillet with a lid or aluminum foil. Cook for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F and the cheese is fully melted and bubbly.
- Optionally, garnish with chopped parsley or basil before serving.
Tips & Notes:
- Chicken Preparation: If your chicken breasts are thick, consider flattening them to an even thickness. This ensures they cook evenly and remain juicy.
- Cheese Choices: While mozzarella and Parmesan are classic choices, feel free to experiment with other cheeses like Provolone or Asiago for different flavors.
- Marinara Sauce: A good quality marinara sauce makes a difference. You can use store-bought or homemade, depending on your preference and time constraints.
- Adjusting Seasoning: Feel free to tweak the amount of garlic powder and Italian seasoning to suit your taste. Remember, recipes are just guidelines!