Add a little spice to your dinner routine with this Skillet Spicy Tofu Stir Fry! Featuring crispy tofu, a medley of fresh vegetables, and an umami rich sauce with a little kick that brings it all together!
Skillet Spicy Tofu Stir Fry Recipe
Say goodbye to tofu stereotypes because my skillet spicy tofu stir fry is anything but bland! It’s golden-brown cubes of crispy tofu dancing in a skillet alongside a colorful assortment of veggies all bathed in a sauce that strikes the perfect balance between savory, sweet, and spicy. So forget takeout, this dish is a quick and easy flavor bomb!
Why You’ll Love Skillet Spicy Tofu Stir Fry
- Quick and Easy! This dish comes together in a matter of minutes, making it an ideal weeknight meal! No wok or fancy techniques are required – just simple steps and a handful of simple ingredients.
- Bursting with Flavor! The contrast of textures and flavors is irresistible. The crispy tofu, fresh veggies, and oh the sauce! With savory notes of soy sauce, the sweetness of hoisin sauce, and a delightful kick of sriracha.
- Versatile Recipe! You can easily adapt the recipe to suit your preferences or dietary needs. Feel free to swap out the veggies, add additional proteins, or use more or less spicy sriracha!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Extra-Firm Tofu: The star ingredient, ready to complement the bold flavors of the dish! It’s important to use extra firm tofu. Soft tofu will fall apart.
- Cornstarch: Provides the tofu’s crispy exterior, creating an irresistible crunch.
- Soy Sauce (Low Sodium): An umami powerhouse that adds depth and saltiness, enhancing the overall flavor profile.
- Hoisin Sauce: Infuses the dish with a touch of sweetness and complexity.
- Sriracha: Brings the perfect amount of heat to awaken the taste buds.
- Vegetable Oil: Used to stir fry the tofu and veggie. Make sure to use a neutral flavored oil.
- Garlic: Freshly minced garlic cloves provide a layer of pungent garlicky goodness.
- Onion: Along with the garlic, sliced onion adds a delicious pungent flavor.
- Bell Peppers: Red and green bell peppers add sweetness and texture as well as a pop of vibrant color.
- Broccoli Florets: Bring a fresh, crunchy texture and earthy flavor.
- Salt and Pepper: Used to balance the dish and enhance the flavor of all the ingredients.
How To Make Skillet Spicy Tofu Stir Fry
The key to a good tofu recipe lies in prepping the tofu properly. Once you’ve completed that step, the rest becomes a breeze, and you’ll quickly discover how easy it is to work with.
Prep The Tofu
Begin by removing the excess moisture from your tofu by wrapping it in a kitchen towel and placing a weight on top. A heavy book or pan works great. Then let the tofu sit for 15 minutes. You need to give it enough time for the weight to press out the water and for the towel to absorb it.
After 15 minutes, cut the tofu into 1-inch cubes and toss them in the cornstarch until fully coated. Ensure you cover every surface of the tofu for the best crispy texture.
Make The Sauce
Next, whisk together the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, and sriracha in a small bowl until well combined. Feel free to add more sriracha or omit it altogether according to your taste. Then set the sauce aside.
Fry The Tofu
To start, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Next, add the coated tofu to the hot oil and fry it for about 7 to 8 minutes until it’s golden brown on all sides. Then use a slotted spoon to remove the tofu from the pan and set it aside.
Stir Fry The Aromatics And Veggies
In the same skillet, sauté the minced garlic and onions for about 2 minutes, being careful not to burn the garlic. Then add the bell peppers and broccoli florets, and keep stir-frying for an additional 5 minutes until the veggies strike a balance between tender and crisp.
Finish The Dish
First, put the fried tofu back in the skillet. Then pour the sauce over the tofu and veggies, and toss to combine. Now, cook the mixture for another 2 to 3 minutes to let the flavors blend.
Frequently Asked Questions
The recipe is incredibly flexible. Feel free to swap out the veggies with options like snow peas, snap peas, mushrooms, or anything you like. Adjust the level of spice and go crazy with the garnishes! A sprinkle of red pepper flakes, sesame seeds, green onion, or nuts like cashews or peanuts are fantastic additions.
Certainly! You can easily substitute the tofu with other plant-based proteins like tempeh or seitan, or your favorite meat alternatives such as chicken, pork, or beef.
Choose extra-firm tofu for the best results. Its dense texture allows it to hold up well during cooking.
First, ensure your skillet is adequately hot before adding the tofu. High heat is crucial for achieving that golden-brown crispiness. Also, make sure the tofu is well-pressed to remove excess moisture before cooking.
Yes! Skipping this step will result in a less crispy texture.
- Press the tofu. To achieve the ideal crispy texture, press your tofu before cutting and coating. This helps remove excess moisture, allowing the tofu to crisp up beautifully during frying.
- Prep before you begin. This recipe comes together quickly, so it’s important to have all the vegetables prepped and the sauce made before you begin cooking.
- Cook in batches. If your skillet is on the smaller side, consider cooking the tofu and veggies in batches. Crowding the pan may lead to uneven browning.
- Toss gently. When reintroducing the crispy tofu and adding the sauce, stir gently to avoid breaking the tofu cubes. You want each piece to retain its crunch.
Store any leftover skillet spicy tofu stir fry in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. When ready to enjoy again, you can reheat it on the stovetop or in the microwave. For longer storage, you can freeze it for up to 3 months and thaw it in the refrigerator. Keep in mind freezing will alter the texture.
More Delicious Skillet Recipes
- Skillet Chicken Parmesan
- Mushroom Cauliflower Skillet
- Skillet Breakfast Hash
- Southwest Chicken And Rice Skillet
- Skillet Lasagna
Craving More? Follow Along:
Skillet Spicy Tofu Stir Fry
- 14 ounce extra-firm tofu pressed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup soy sauce low sodium
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1 medium red bell peppers sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper sliced
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wrap the tofu in a clean kitchen towel and place a weight on top. Let it sit for about 15 minutes to remove excess moisture.
- Cut the tofu into 1-inch cubes. Toss them in cornstarch until fully coated.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, and sriracha. Set aside.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add vegetable oil. Add the coated tofu cubes to the hot skillet. Fry until golden brown on all sides, about 7-8 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add garlic and onion. Sauté for 2 minutes. Add the bell peppers and broccoli florets. Stir-fry for another 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender yet crisp.
- Return the crispy tofu to the skillet. Pour the sauce over the tofu and vegetables. Stir well to combine. Cook for another 2-3 minutes to let flavors meld together.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot over steamed rice or noodles.
Tips & Notes:
- Pressing Tofu: Ensure to press the tofu properly to remove excess moisture for the best texture. The drier the tofu, the crispier it gets when cooked.
- Sauce Adjustments: Feel free to tweak the sauce to your liking. Add more sriracha for extra heat or increase hoisin sauce for sweetness.
- Vegetable Variations: This recipe is versatile; feel free to add or substitute vegetables like snap peas, carrots, or mushrooms.
- Stir Fry Timing: Keep an eye on the vegetables to ensure they stay crisp-tender and don’t overcook.