Treat your tummy to a taste of Italy-meets-America with this delicious Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers recipe! With juicy Italian sausages cooked to perfection alongside vibrant bell peppers in a flavorful tomato sauce, this classic is fantastic between a bun, over pasta, or on its own!
Easy Slow Cooker Sausage And Peppers
Sausage and peppers are like delicious partners in crime, all wrapped up in a soft and comfy hoagie roll! But the magic of this recipe lies not only in its taste but also in its simplicity. With just a handful of ingredients, a slow cooker, and a sprinkle of patience, you’re rewarded with a dish that’s the embodiment of “set it and forget it.”
That’s right! The slow cooker does all the heavy lifting, making cleanup a breeze and the recipe nearly effortless. And the crockpot also gives all the flavors more time to slowly meld together. So, whether you’re looking for an easy family meal, a potluck sensation, or a holiday idea, this slow cooker sausage and peppers recipe does not disappoint!
Why You’ll Love Crockpot Sausage And Peppers
- Quick and Easy! With just a handful of ingredients and the magic of a slow cooker, you can create a hearty and flavorful dish that will satisfy your cravings and impress your family.
- Italian American Classic! The marriage of juicy Italian sausages with sweet bell peppers and savory tomato sauce is a delicious combination of flavors that’s hard to resist.
- Comforting Favorite! Whether served as a family meal or as a crowd-pleasing option at gatherings, slow cooker sausage and peppers are perfect for any occasion and never fail to impress.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Italian Sausage Links: The heart of the dish! Use your choice of hot or mild Italian sausages. You can also use turkey sausage if you prefer.
- Bell Peppers: Add a bit of vibrant color and texture. Feel free to use any color peppers you like.
- Onion: I like to use brown onion for this dish, but any onion you have on hand will do the trick.
- Garlic: Always use freshly minced garlic for the most pungent flavor.
- Diced Tomatoes: They create the foundation of the tomato sauce that envelops the sausages.
- Dried Herbs: A combination of dried basil and dried oregano infuses the dish with subtle herby goodness.
- Salt: Enhances the overall flavor profile of the dish.
- Black Pepper: Adds a dash of mild spice.
- Broth: Helps create the tomato sauce and prevents the dish from becoming dry. You can choose between vegetable broth or low-sodium chicken stock based on your preference.
- Hoagie Rolls: Used as the serving vessel to showcase this yummy creation.
How To Make Slow Cooker Sausage And Peppers
With the help of a crockpot, this popular Italian-American favorite takes just minutes to prep and no effort to cook! Homemade deliciousness doesn’t get much easier than this!
Add The Sausage And Peppers
To begin, put the Italian sausages in the slow cooker. Then add the sliced bell peppers, sliced onion, and minced garlic on top.
Make The Tomato Sauce
Next, mix the diced tomatoes, dried oregano, dried basil, salt, and black pepper together in a bowl. Then pour the mixture over the sausage and peppers in the crockpot. Now, pour in the vegetable broth.
Once everything is in the crockpot, cover it with the lid. Then cook the slow cooker sausage and peppers on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours. When the dish is ready, the sausages should be cooked through and the vegetables tender.
Serve And Enjoy
To serve, grab some hoagie buns and place a sausage and some peppers inside. Then spoon some of the sauce over the top and enjoy your sandwiches with a side of crispy fried zucchini if you like!
Frequently Asked Questions
Sausages are considered fully cooked when their internal temperature reaches 160°F (71°C) and the juices run clear. You can use a meat thermometer to check the temperature at the thickest part of the sausage.
You can add other veggies like mushrooms or zucchini. For an added kick, add some red pepper flakes. Top the sandwiches with cheese like mozzarella, provolone, or parmesan. And for a sophisticated touch add a bit of red wine or drizzle of balsamic vinegar. Feel free to be as creative as you like!
Absolutely! Place the Italian sausages and sliced bell peppers in a baking dish and then cover with the tomato mixture. Now, cover the dish with foil and bake the sausages for 45 to 60 minutes at 375°F (190°C).
- Sear the sausages. For added depth of flavor, consider searing the sausages in a skillet before placing them in the slow cooker.
- Add more broth. While cooking, if the dish begins to look dry, add more broth. You can also add more broth if you would like a thinner sauce.
- Don’t leave at room temperature. Avoid leaving the slow cooker sausage and peppers in the crockpot at room temperature for more than 4 hours to ensure food safety and quality.
You can store leftover slow cooker sausage and peppers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or you can freeze them for up to 3 months. To reheat, put the leftovers in the microwave for a few minutes on medium heat or in a skillet on the stovetop. However, if frozen, you’ll need to let the leftovers thaw out overnight in the fridge before reheating.
Discover Other Great Recipes
- One Pot Sausage Pasta
- Sausage Balls
- Homemade Breakfast Sausage
- Creamy Red Pepper Sausage Pasta
- Instant Pot Creamy Potato Sausage Soup
- Pumpkin Sausage Pasta
Craving More? Follow Along:
Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers
- 6 Italian sausage links mild or hot
- 2 large bell peppers sliced
- 1 large onion sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes 1 can
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup vegetable broth or chicken broth, low sodium
- hoagie rolls for serving
- Place the Italian sausages in the slow cooker. Add the sliced bell peppers, sliced onion, and minced garlic to the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, mix together the diced tomatoes, dried oregano, dried basil, salt, and black pepper. Pour the mixture over the sausages and vegetables in the slow cooker. Add the vegetable broth to the slow cooker.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours, until the sausages are cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
- When ready to serve, place a sausage and some of the peppers and onions onto a hoagie roll. Spoon some of the tomato sauce over the top of the sausage and vegetables.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Tips & Notes:
- Feel free to switch up the sausages! Turkey or chicken sausages can be a leaner option.
- No hoagie rolls? No problem. This dish is just as delicious served over pasta or rice.
- If you like a little kick, add some red pepper flakes to the tomato mixture.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days, making it a great make-ahead meal option.
- You can also double the recipe for larger gatherings; just make sure your slow cooker has the capacity.