These Sausage Balls require just 3 ingredients and produce delicious, tender pork balls that are perfect to serve up for an entree, as an appetizer for any party, game day, or gathering, even a snack!
This is a fool-proof recipe for Sausage Balls, as it requires just 3 simple ingredients: sausage, biscuit mix and cheese. These little balls are easy to make, super cheesy and usually the first to disappear at a party!
These sausage balls can be made in advance, making them extremely convenient and not to mention, delicious. They’re crisp on the outside and tender on the inside with a cheesy goodness throughout; making them the epitome of rich, decadent, comfort food.
Keep scrolling down to the recipe card for FULL ingredient amounts and instructions or click the “Jump to Recipe” button at the top of the page!
- Pork – I used regular ground pork. You can use any kind in this recipe! A hot spicy Italian sausage would be delicious as well.
- Biscuit Mix – You can use store bought or you can use my biscuit mix recipe!
- Cheese – I used cheddar cheese, sharp, shredded.
How to make sausage balls
- Preheat Oven – Preheat the oven to 350 F°.
- Combine Ingredients and Shape – In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients together. Form into small 1-inch size balls and place on baking sheets.
- Bake – Transfer the baking sheets to the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and the sausage has cooked through.
- Serve – Serve with ranch or your favorite dip.
- Use your hands! – Don’t try to mix everything with a spoon or mixer. The best way to incorporate all the ingredients together is with your hands! It does require some effort, but it’s worth the manpower. This will also ensure that your balls are well mixed and there are no dry pockets!
- Add the sausage last! – Mix the biscuit mix and cheese together before you add the sausage, this will make it easier to get everything well combined for you.
Why are my sausage balls dry?
Your sausage balls could be dry for a couple of reasons:
- They may have too much biscuit mix in them. Try adding some milk or reduce the amount of mix.
- Your sausage balls might have dry pockets if they were not mixed well enough.
Can I make these in advance?
These sausage balls are great because they can be made ahead of time, making them a convenient appetizer for parties! After you have formed your balls, store them uncooked for up to 2 days in the coolest part of your refrigerator, (usually in the back, on the bottom shelf.)
Your uncooked sausage balls can also be stored in the freezer, indefinitely – but are at their best when cooked within 1 month.
How to freeze uncooked sausage balls
Place the uncooked sausage balls in a single layer on a baking sheet and place in the freezer until they are completely frozen, this will prevent the sausage balls from sticking together. Once frozen, you can remove them, place them in freezer bags and transfer them back to the freezer for your convenience.
How to serve
Sausage balls are usually served as an appetizer, but they can also make for a great entree too. If you’re going for more of a meal, try pairing them with these options:
- Mashed Potatoes or Easy Oven Roasted Potatoes
- Oven Roasted Carrots
- Cauliflower Rice
- Roasted Green Beans
- Instant Pot Rice
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- Steamed Broccoli
You could even add them into a spaghetti to mix it up a bit or serve them up with some scrambled eggs and hashbrowns for the ultimate breakfast! However you choose to serve these sausage balls, they’re sure to be a crowd pleaser!
How to store leftovers
Store cooked sausage balls in an airtight container in your fridge for 3 to 4 days.
You can reheat these in the microwave or pop them back in the oven until heated through.
In the freezer, your cooked sausage balls will store indefinitely, but are best eaten within 1 month. (see above)
Reheating frozen sausage balls
When you’re ready to reheat your frozen sausage balls (already cooked) – Remove the desired amount from the freezer, put them on a baking sheet and reheat them at 350° for 10 to 15 minutes or until heated through.
Did you like this recipe? Try these!
- Quick and Easy Pork Sausage
- Toasted Ravioli
- Cranberry Meatballs
- Crispy Fried Chicken
- Sweet Potato Turkey Meatballs
- Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
- Crispy Fried Zucchini
- Pigs in a Blanket
- Firecracker Chicken Meatballs
- Potato Skins
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Bites
- Cheesy Chicken Fritters
- Crockpot Asian Meatballs
Craving More? Follow Along:
- 1 lb ground pork
- 2 cups biscuit mix
- 1 lb cheddar cheese sharp, shredded (yellow)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F°.
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients together. Form into small 1-inch size balls and place on baking sheets.
- Transfer the baking sheets to the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and the sausage has cooked through.
- Serve with ranch, ketchup or your favorite dip.
Tips & Notes:
- Recipe should yield around 48 balls.
- Nutritional information is per ball.
- Store cooked sausage balls in an airtight container in your fridge for 3 to 4 days.
- You can reheat these in the microwave or pop them back in the oven until heated through.