A hearty Vegetable Soup recipe made with an array of veggies and an Italian tomato broth seasoned to perfection. Made in one pot, this soup screams comfort!
There’s nothing like a soul-soothing, comforting bowl of vegetable soup. With an array of hearty vegetables, this healthy soup is an easy “dump and go” recipe. In under one hour you can have a huge pot of tasty soup that can be eaten throughout the week or made in advance for future dinners!
Don’t let the long list of ingredients discourage you, they’re all easy and inexpensive to find at your local grocery store or you can use whatever you have at home already! This soup is nutritious and chock full of healthy ingredients that will be sure to satisfy.
Keep scrolling down to the recipe card for a list of FULL ingredient amounts and instructions or click the “Jump to Recipe” button at the top of the page!
- Olive Oil – You can substitute with sunflower, safflower, avocado or vegetable oil.
- Onion – Large, chopped.
- Carrots – Medium, chopped.
- Celery – Chopped.
- Garlic – Fresh is always best! Minced.
- Cauliflower Florets – cut into bite size pieces!
- Potatoes – Medium sized, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces.
- Corn – Make sure to thaw it if frozen!
- Tomatoes – A large can of diced tomatoes.
- Zucchini – Medium size, sliced.
- Italian Seasoning – Made up of oregano, rosemary, thyme and basil. If you don’t have Italian seasoning you can use a mix of any of the above.
- Beans – I used kidney beans, drained and rinsed, but use whatever you have in your pantry.
- Bay Leaf – For added flavor.
- Lemon Juice – I used freshly squeezed but you can also use store bought.
- Broth – I used vegetable broth since this is vegetable soup, but you can also use chicken broth.
- Salt and Pepper – To taste.
- Vegetable Bouillon – Powder, or vegeta.
- Parsley – Fresh parsley, chopped.
How to make vegetable soup
Now that we’re through that ingredient list, it’s simple to throw together!
- Saute the Mirepoix: Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions, carrots and celery to the pot and cook until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Combine the Base of the Soup: Stir in the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds until aromatic. Add the cauliflower, potatoes, corn, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, kidney beans, bay leaf, lemon juice, vegetable broth, salt, pepper, vegetable bouillon powder and stir well to combine. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium and cook for 20 minutes. Stir in the zucchini and cook for another 5 minutes. Taste for seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper as necessary.
- Finish the Soup and Serve: Remove the bay leaf. Garnish with parsley and serve.
How to serve
I like to serve my vegetable soup with a nice warm roll to sop up all that hearty broth! Feel free to add in your favourite veggies to this soup and make it your own!
Can I make this in advance?
Save yourself some time during those busing weeknights by making a big batch of soup that you can eat for weeks to come! Making a healthy soup in advance and sticking it in the freezer ensures you will have a hearty meal option readily available!
This vegetable soup is the IDEAL soup to freeze because there are no noodles or dairy in it, which can cause complications when freezing. If you are planning on making this soup in advance, undercook your veggies just a tad so they don’t overcook the second time around. After letting the soup cool completely, pour it into a freezer safe container and keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
How to store leftover soup
Properly stored, your leftover vegetable soup will last for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator. To further extend the shelf life of your soup – freeze it (see above); freeze in covered airtight containers or heavy-duty freezer bags!
To reheat leftovers, heat in your microwave or back on the stove top until heated through.
Did you like this soup recipe? Try these!
- Minestrone Soup
- Zucchini Soup
- Easy Lentil Soup
- Easy Hamburger Soup
- Lasagna Soup
- Taco Soup
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Baked Potato Soup
- Cabbage Soup
- Beef Lentil Soup
Craving More? Follow Along:
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 8 ounce cauliflower florets cut into bite size pieces
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup corn thawed if frozen
- 28 ounce diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 15 ounce kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 6 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 2 teaspoon vegetable buillon powder or vegeta
- 1 medium zucchini sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- Saute the Mirepoix: Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery to the pot and cook until softened, stirring ocassionally, for about 5 minutes.
- Combine the base of the soup: Stir in the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds until aromatic. Add the cauliflower, potatoes, corn, diced tomates, Italian seasoning, kidney beans, bay leave, lemon juice, vegetable broth, salt, pepper, vegetable buillon powder and stir well to combine. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium and cook for 20 minutes. Stir in the zucchini and cook for another 5 minutes. Taste for seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper as necessary.
- Finish the soup: Remove the bay leaf. Garnish with parsley and serve.
Tips & Notes:
- Properly stored, your leftover vegetable soup will last for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator.
- To reheat leftovers, heat in your microwave or back on the stove top until heated through.