Crockpot Crack Chicken is an addictively good, creamy, dreamy delight that embodies pure comfort food magic! It features tender chicken seamlessly blended together with a mixture of cream cheese, savory ranch, crispy bacon, and cheddar cheese. With just one bite, you’ll quickly understand why this dish has earned its coveted “crack” status!
What Is Crockpot Crack Chicken
Say hello to crockpot crack chicken, a flavor-packed sensation that’s all about simplicity meeting indulgence. This slow-cooked masterpiece transforms ordinary chicken breasts into out-of-this-world delicious. It takes perfectly cooked shredded chicken and combines it with cream cheese, zesty ranch seasoning mix, crispy bacon, and melty cheddar cheese to create a dish that’s addicting.
And the crockpot does all the work, making it a favorite among those who love comfort food and hands-off cooking methods! Plus, it’s a crowd-pleasing recipe that can be served over rice, as wraps, on burger buns, or as a dip! This versatile dish always steals the show whether served for gatherings, potlucks, or family meals.
Why You’ll Love This Crockpot Crack Chicken
- Effortless Recipe! This dish is both super easy to make and a total time saver! With minimal prep time and the crockpot doing the heavy lifting, you can simply set it and forget it.
- Addictively Delicious! The creamy texture, savory flavors, and the irresistible combination of cheese, ranch, and bacon, make this chicken dish incredibly tasty.
- Crowd Pleaser! This crockpot crack chicken recipe is your secret weapon! From sandwiches and dips to hearty main courses, it’s a fantastic option that adapts to any occasion.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Chicken: You’ll need some boneless skinless chicken breasts. If you prefer dark meat, you can use boneless skinless chicken thighs.
- Cream Cheese: The creamy backbone of this dish that adds to its rich taste and texture.
- Ranch Dressing Mix: Adds layers of zesty and herby goodness that give the crockpot crack chicken its addictively good flavor! You can use store-bought or make your own homemade ranch seasoning mix.
- Chicken Broth: Aids in the cooking process by infusing the chicken with both moisture and flavor. I typically use low-sodium chicken broth or homemade chicken stock.
- Bacon: Adds a savory crunch and a burst of salty goodness. Air fryer bacon is perfect for this recipe.
- Cheddar Cheese: Provides a cheesy layer of comfort! Feel free to use other cheeses like Monterey Jack, Colby, or even a spicy pepper jack for an extra kick.
- Green Onions: Add a fresh finish and pop of color. Fresh herbs like cilantro, chives, and parsley are other good options.
How To Make Crockpot Crack Chicken
This culinary delight is not only packed with flavor but also incredibly easy to make. Just a handful of ingredients and a few simple steps will lead you to an addictively good dish!
Prop The Dish
Begin by arranging your chicken breasts on the bottom of your crockpot. Next, sprinkle the entire packet of ranch dressing mix evenly over the chicken. Finally, lay the two blocks of cream cheese on top of the chicken and then pour in the chicken broth.
Slow Cook The Chicken
Now, the crockpot does its magic! Cover your slow cooker with a lid and and cook the chicken on low for 6 to 8 hours, or on high for 4 hours. When ready, you should be able to easily shred the chicken with a fork.
Shred And Mix
Once done, use two forks to shred the chicken right in the slow cooker. Then mix it thoroughly together with the cream cheese. Now, stir in the crumbled bacon and shredded cheddar until fully melted.
Garnish And Serve
When ready, sprinkle the crockpot crack chicken with the green onions and serve it immediately with tortillas, in hamburger buns, on top of baked potatoes, or over pasta. You can also make appetizers with it like I do these buffalo chicken pinwheels.
Frequently Asked Questions
Some popular additions include sliced mushrooms, diced tomatoes, or jalapenos for spice. You can also use other types of cheese. This recipe is really versatile.
Yes! It might not have the same slow-cooked depth of flavor, but it’s still delicious. Simply gently boil the chicken until it’s easily shreddable. Then combine the shredded chicken with the other ingredients in a large pot over low heat, stirring until mixed well and creamy.
This typically happens if you use frozen chicken breasts or add too much broth.
- Don’t add salt. The ranch seasoning, cheese, chicken broth, and bacon already contribute salty elements. So, it’s important to wait and taste the dish at the end, as it most likely won’t need more salt.
- Add more broth if needed. If you find that the dish is becoming too dry in the crockpot, don’t hesitate to add a little more broth.
- Add the cheddar immediately. For the creamiest result, stir in the shredded cheddar cheese when the slow cooker is still on to ensure that the cheese melts seamlessly into the mixture.
- Avoid leaving at room temperature. To ensure food safety, do not leave the slow cooker crack chicken at room temperature for more than 4 hours.
Transfer any leftover crockpot crack chicken into an airtight container or freezer bag. You can then store it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. To reheat, gently warm it on the stovetop or in the microwave, adding a splash of water if needed to maintain its creamy texture. However, you’ll need to let frozen leftovers thaw out overnight in the fridge.
Discover More Crockpot Recipes
- Slow Cooker Pork Chops
- Slow Cooker Sausage And Peppers
- Slow Cooker Ribs
- Crockpot Cilantro Lime Chicken
- Slow Cooker Chocolate Candy
Craving More? Follow Along:
Crockpot Crack Chicken
- Place the chicken breasts at the bottom of your slow cooker. Sprinkle the ranch dressing mix over the chicken. Place the blocks of cream cheese on top of the chicken and ranch dressing mix. Pour in the chicken broth.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 4 hours. The chicken is ready when it can be easily shredded with a fork.
- Shred the chicken in the slow cooker using two forks and mix it with the cream cheese to combine all the ingredients well.
- Stir in the crumbled bacon and shredded cheddar cheese until everything is well mixed and the cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle the green onions on top just before serving.
Tips & Notes:
- Chicken Choice: While boneless, skinless chicken breasts are recommended for leaner results, feel free to substitute them with thighs if you prefer more flavor and don’t mind the extra fat.
- Cream Cheese Substitution: If you’re looking to cut back on calories, you can use Neufchâtel cheese or a low-fat cream cheese instead of the full-fat version, but remember, this will alter the creaminess and taste slightly.
- Bacon Bits Alternative: If you’re pressed for time, you can use store-bought bacon bits instead of cooking and crumbling bacon, though fresh bacon will give a more robust flavor.
- Serving Suggestions: This versatile dish pairs wonderfully with a variety of sides! Consider serving it over rice, pasta, or with a side of steamed veggies or a crisp salad to add some freshness to your meal.
- Spice It Up: Feel free to add a dash of hot sauce or some red pepper flakes if you’d like to introduce a bit of heat to the dish.
- Gluten-Free: To make this dish gluten-free, ensure your ranch dressing mix and chicken broth are gluten-free varieties.