This is the only Easy Quiche Recipe you’ll ever need. Learn how to make this simple quiche and how to customize it yourself, using store bought crust or learn to make your own. Loaded with bacon, leeks and cheese, this quiche is perfect for breakfast, brunch or lunch!
Easy Quiche Recipe
If you’ve never made quiche before, it really is one of the easiest things you can make. Quiches are great because they’re truly versatile, you can literally fill them with anything. While they’re typically served at brunches, I love quiche for any meal of the day. They’re rich and decadent with a buttery and flaky crust. What’s not to love?
What Is Quiche?
If you didn’t already guess from the name, this is a French recipe. A quiche is a savory tart with a filling thickened with eggs. You’ll commonly see quiche made with cream, onion, meat like bacon or ham, and lots of cheese. You can eat it hot or cold, for breakfast, lunch, or dinner! Does a recipe get any more versatile than this?
Ingredients in Quiche
This recipe is very adaptable, and can really be made with any of your favorite fillings. Keep scrolling for the full recipe and ingredient amounts.
For this recipe you’ll need:
- Pie crust – I made my own pie crust for this recipe but you can definitely use a store-bought crust to make the process even easier. If you have the time, I recommend making your own, because it really is worth the effort.
- Butter – I always use unsalted butter. This recipe has both bacon and cheese, so we want to keep sodium levels down with the other ingredients.
- Leeks – This will give you a nice, mild onion flavor.
- Eggs – A quiche is not a quiche without eggs! This is what will hold your filling together.
- Cream – I used 35% cream for this recipe. Any type will work! You can use a lower milk fat cream if you want to cut down on calories.
- Salt & pepper – You can completely omit the salt if you like. I topped the quiche with some fresh cracked pepper as well. Keep in mind that you will be getting lots of salt from the bacon and cheese.
- Bacon – I used some good thick-cut bacon. It’s cubed and fried, so thick-cut will hold up and give you meatier pieces.
- Cheese – Use a strong aged cheese like cheddar cheese. I, however, used gouda. The gouda I had handy was a nice and strong aged cheese. Quiche can be quite mild as the filling is made up of mostly eggs and cream, so a nice sharp cheese makes a big difference.
How To Make Your Own Quiche Crust
A quiche crust is literally pie crust and the main ingredients are all-purpose flour, butter and ice water. Check out my video and complete recipe instructions for how to make the perfect pie crust.
When making quiche, you want to blind bake the crust first to ensure the bottom is cooked through and you don’t end up with raw dough.
Blind baking basically means baking your pie crust before filling it and baking the entire pie. It’s usually necessary for quiches or for when you’re making a custard pie or the pie filling is unbaked.
How to Make This Easy Quiche Recipe
Make the crust: If making your own pie crust, preheat the oven to 425 F degrees. Follow the instructions outlined in my pie crust recipe for making the crust, then blind bake it. Blind baking instructions are also outlined in the post. If using store bought pastry, follow the instructions on the package.
Prepare the filling: In a skillet melt the butter then add the leeks and saute for 3 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly. In a large bowl add the eggs, cream, salt, pepper, bacon, 1 cup of the cheese and whisk everything together.
Assemble the quiche and bake: Scatter the leeks over the bottom of the baked quiche crust. Pour the egg mixture over then top with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese. Bake for 35 minutes or until the centre is completely set. Let cool for about 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
How to Make Crustless Quiche
Looking to cut your carbs, go gluten-free, or you just really don’t like a crust all that much? That’s okay! Grease your tart pan well and just pour the egg mixture directly into the pan. Make sure it is fully, and I mean fully, cooled before removing it from the pan and slicing.
If you go for a crustless quiche, you can always make 1.5 times or double the recipe so that it doesn’t turn out too thin.
What Else Can I Mix Into My Quiche?
The options are endless! This is a great way to clean some unused ingredients from your fridge.
Can You Make Quiche Ahead Of Time
Yes! You can make blind bake the quiche crust a couple days ahead of time and simply cover it with plastic wrap. Leave it on the counter or store it in the fridge.
You can also completely make the quiche and store it in the fridge for 3 to 4 days. It will still be perfect.
How Do You Reheat Quiche?
Quiche can be enjoyed warm or cold. If you prefer it warm you can reheat it at 325 F for about 15 minutes.
Tips For Making The Best Quiche
- Always blind bake your crust. If you pour liquid in an unbaked crust you’re going to get a soggy quiche because the liquid will seep into the crust. You want to have a nice and crispy crust at the bottom.
- Make sure your filling ingredients are as dry as possible to avoid a soggy crust. If you’re sautéing mushrooms, for example, sauté until the all the moisture is gone.
- Bake it on the bottom oven rack. This will ensure your quiche will bake evenly and give you a golden-brown and delicious quiche.
Can You Freeze Quiche?
Absolutely! Cover it up with aluminum foil then place it in a large freezer bag. Place it in the freezer and freeze for 3 to 4 months. When ready to serve, take it out of the freezer bag, leave it covered with aluminum foil and bake at 350 F degrees for about 20 minutes or until heated through.
Did You Love This Recipe? Try These!
Craving More? Follow Along:
Easy Quiche Recipe
- 1 pie crust
- 1 tbsp butter unsalted
- 1 leek cleaned and chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup cream I used 35% cream
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper or to taste
- 8 slices bacon chopped and fried
- 1 1/2 cups cheese shredded, such as cheddar or gouda
- If making your own pie crust, preheat the oven to 425 F degrees. Follow the instructions outlined in my pie crust recipe for making the crust, then blind bake it. Blind baking instructions are also outlined in the post.
- If using store bought pastry, follow the instructions on the package.
- Turn down the oven to 375 F degrees.
- In a skillet melt the butter then add the leeks and saute for 3 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl add the eggs, cream, salt, pepper, bacon, 1 cup of the cheese and whisk everything together.
- Scatter the leeks over the bottom of the baked quiche crust. Pour the egg mixture over then top with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the centre is completely set. Let cool for about 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Tips & Notes: